fifteen

Alex Karev

-

Today has been awful.

Utterly and completely horrible.

You know what happened?

I got yelled at by two angry parents for refusing to do a surgery on their thirteen year old daughter, which by all means, is dying because she has a piece of a phone charger lodged in her kidney, so deeply, if I put the slightest amount of pressure on the area, it'll burst and she will bleed out almost immediately.

So basically, she's already dead.

"Robbins," I growl, not able to keep the scowl off of my face any longer. "Why did Amelia come out of that kids room all ditsy?"

She shrugs, looking up from her paperwork. "I don't know, why don't you go ask her yourself, Karev?"

I roll my eyes, my nerves hanging on a very thin wire. "And why the hell are her shades down and door closed?"

Well, that got her attention pretty quick.

I open the door to the girls room, ignoring Arizona's scoff when I close the door in her face.

I scan around the room, groaning when she's not in her bed.

"Jesus Christ, that goddamn child!"" I yell, putting my head in my hands. "Eliza!" I groan.

This is not what I need right now, she needs to learn not to keep running away.

It's agitating.

"What did I do now?" A small voice whines. My eyes flip open, revealing Eliza playing with soap on the bathroom floor, the pinkish liquid covering her arms and hands; and the ground that it is smeared on.

I walk over to her after surveying the scene for a couple of long moments.

I grab her bony waist, picking her up in the air so she is facing me, but not actually touching my body.

"What are you doing?" I ask, shaking my head as I see her big doe eyes meet mine. "You're making a mess."

I place her at the end of the bed, grabbing a bunch of paper towels to wipe her sticky fingers; as well as the floor she dirtied.

"Stay" I demand, pressing on her leg to keep her still.

"But I'm bored." She whines, falling back dramatically on the bed as I grab her hands to start wiping them of the almond smelling soap.

"You're a baby. Go to sleep if you're bored." I say simply, my annoyance from the patient I dealt with before starting to ware off a little bit.

"I am not a baby!" She scolds, ripping her hand from mine as I go onto the next one, placing it to her chest. "I am seven. That's practically almost double digits."

"And yet you're the size of an average four year old."

"I am not!" She says, her eyebrows furrowing.

I let out a hearty laugh, "Than how tall are you, Eliza?"

She thinks for a moment, biting on her lower lip. "Well, the chart said said I was 39 inches, but I don't know how tall that is, yet."

"So, you're 3 foot 3, Eliza?"

"Yep." She answers, smiling she pops the 'p'.

"I rest my case." I state, placing her on my hip after I go put the dirty paper towels in the trash can.

My eyes widen as I put her down in her bed.

She bounces up and down, fidgeting with her fingers and tapping her leg.

"What the hell did they give you, Eliza?" I ask, contemplating her actions.

"Oh,!" She squeals. "I ate a 3 musketeers bar!" She giggles, barely able to contain her laughter. "Have you ever had one? It's so good, Alex!"

"Sugar high." I sigh, wanting to sink to the floor. "And who exactly gave you that candy bar?"

"Um," She hesitates, chewing on her lower lip. "I'm not supposed to tell you."

"Now." I warn.

"Fine," She whines, still smiling ear to ear. "It was Ma-". But before she can finish, a blazing siren goes through the hospital, and my pager beeps like crazy.

"COLD SILVER; GET IN LOCK DOWN. MAY I REPEAT; CODE SILVER; GET IN LOCK DOWN."

Oh, shit.