nine

Meredith Grey

-

"It's been too long for her to be unconscious. She should be awake by now." I say to Derek and Jackson, pacing around the room like a child waiting for a test they know they already failed.

"Mer, it's been an hour and a half after her surgery from us having to fix the tear in her lung that was causing them to fill with blood. Give her body some time to heal itself. She could be awake right now, just not ready yet, okay? Karev and Robbins have got her. Calm down and stop pacing, go do some charts." Bailey orders from behind me, rolling her eyes when I purposely nudge her with my elbow.
. . .

One more, I chant over and over again as my fingers ache from writing, trying to finish as quick as possible so I can now see the very much awake little girl that's fresh out of surgery.

My eyes pop up as I see a group of girls approach me, excitement covering their faces.

"Hi." One of them says nervously, tapping her fingers. "Do you know we're Eliza Brown is?"

I hesitate, looking at her shaking her head through the window. "Who are you?"

"Im Mykayla, and behind me are Sophia, Sawyer. We're her older sisters."

Jesus, there parents had four girls?

"We were looking for her and our parents for months since they never answered our calls. Since we all live in different parts of the country, it's hard to get all together...and when we heard about our parents death and how Eliza went missing, every one was looking for her nonstop. And now we hear that our little sister is here. Is she?"

"She is." I try not to let there gaze fall off of mine. "But she's not allowed to have visitors yet. She just got out of surgery, and she's not ready for visitors at the moment. She needs to rest."

"Okay." She sighs. "Well, please give us a call when she's ready, okay? Have a good day." I see tears glistening in her eyes as she leaves the hospital floor, and guilt flutters in my stomach.

I look over and curse under my breath when I look in Eliza's room.

"Crap. Not again." I whine as I see her bed empty.