fourteen

Eliza Brown

-

Although I am sort of numb, I could still hear the slice of the scalpel slicing through my opaque skin.

I guess that's what I get for thrashing under her grip.

Bailey grabs my tear streaked face and turns it to face her, her eyes panicky as she tries to calm me, failing to no avail.

I try to focus on my surroundings instead of what is going on with me, medical wise.

A tall brunette comes into the room, cursing as she eyes me with Bailey, Arizona and Alex hovering over me, the sight of her grey eyes putting me to rest.

"Amelia," Alex starts, "Where is Webber?" His voice is hurried as he rushes to finish my sutures as Arizona tries to get the tube in my abdomen as fast as possible.

"He's in the OR with Avery, he had to take care of a trauma case for a father. His kids are about to go in as well--,car cash." Her voice is soft, but demands respect.

Bailey's pager goes off, and her worried eyes meets the girl with the slate grey eyes.

With a simple nod from grey eyes, Bailey leaves, whispering a coo that I can't distinguish as I shiver, letting out a sob.

Grey eyes comes next to me, tucking my messy hair behind my ears.

"Hey, Eliza." She says, trying to speak softly over Arizona and Alex talking about me. "I'm Amelia, it's nice to finally meet you. It seems like the whole hospital knows your name." She smiles.

"Hi." I hiccup, trying to regain control of my breathing.

She smiles a little bit as I lift my emeralds to meet her faded sapphires.

"I can see how everyone in the hospital is fawning over you, Eliza." She speaks as if nothing around us matters, like nothing exists but this conversation we are having.

"Can I tell you something really important?" She whispers, rubbing her thumb over my scraped up hand. "You know Meredith?"

"Yeah." I croak, taking a gulp of air. "She adopted me, I think." I say, smiling a little bit at the memory.

"And you know what? Meredith is my sister-in law, and Derek, her husband, is my brother."

"So, you're my aunt?" I ask, taken back a little bit.

"Yep, and guess what? Mer and Derek have two daughters and a son, and one of them is just as old as you are." She says, her face suppressing a smile.

"Are they my siblings now?" I ask, sighing in relief as the doctors give one glance towards us before they leave.

"Yeah, 'wanna know what their names are?" She asks, toying with one of my curls.

I nod, and she continues. "Well, her seven year old that I was talking about is named Zola, she was adopted when she was a baby. Bailey, he's five, and Ellis is almost two."

I pause, thinking things over. "Amelia," I start, looking up from beneath my hair "Is it okay if I call you, Anty Amelia?"

Her face lights up as she laughs a little bit. "Sure, Eliza, I would be delighted. But, how about we take a bath?"

I notice how dirty I feel; I must look it too.

I nod my head, snuggling my head into her shoulder as she picks me up and brings me into the bathroom.

The tub is pretty shallow, so it fills up pretty quick.

"Anty Amelia?" I ask as she washes my hair, the smell of the honey shampoo filling the aroma of the small bathroom.

"Yes, Eliza?"

I hesitate, unclear of my decision to ask this question. "Is it okay if I call Meredith and Derek mommy and daddy?"

I feel the water rush down my back as her fingers stop dead in my hair.

"Of course you can call them that, sweet pea. They would love that."

"But I'm afraid they'll be mad at me." I pout, taking a deep breath in.

"Who will, bud?" She asks, continuing to scrub my hair.

"My mama and pappa." I sigh, tears pooling in my eyes. "They told me."

The vision of them in my dreams crying comes back into my mind, taunting me.