nineteen

Alex Karev

-

My breath runs cold inside of me, the air once flowing through my lungs now solidifying itself into stone.

My feet seem glued to the floor as I replay the scene that was previously in front of me, my heart ramming inside of my chest.

Amelia's distraught body thrown across the floor, hovered over the young girls body, etches itself into my mind.

My body shivers at the thought of Eliza's body laid diagonally on the tiled floor, her blonde hair matted in her own blood.

My feet move faster than my body can keep up with, leading me to slam into multiple grumbling patients.

"Alex," Bailey breathes, her eyes widening.

My stomach churns. I shake my hands, trying to calm my nerves as hushed whispers fill my ears.

Arizona snatches Eliza from my arms, cradling her frail frame in her embrace.

"Alex," she urges, her face panicked. "You need to tell me what happened."

A lump forms in my throat, threatening to block my airways.

My face goes slack, my head pounding at the thought of her kidnapper bringing the knife down on her.

"Alex!" Arizona hisses, gripping my face to grab my attention.

My eyes flicker between her and Eliza's moribund body.

Her blonde lochs are stained red, the brown peroxyde that thinned her blood making her look like she was the blunt end of a murder scene.

Well, that's what it is....but still.

"Her father tried to kill her." I whisper, and my voice trembles lightly. "He went in, and slashed her throat with a hunting knife. We tried to stop him, but--"

"--Is he still here?" She interrupts, her blue eyes widened in a frightened gaze.

She reads my face, and her shoulders tense.

"God, Alex, please tell me he's not here."

My breath hitches, and a loud bang reverberates throughout the ER.