13

The cabin was warm, like a mild volcano compared to outside, where there was a strong wind and the beginnings of a storm.
Kristen was in Jesse's room, they were drinking coffee and making life plans.
They had agreed upon telling Jake and Ryan half the reason why they really were in Europe. Kristen had her broken iphone out, playing music.
Jesse didn't know, but this was a self titled album by a ex-member of much despised boy band. A band of which he despised, music and other wise.

Childhood days. That's what they were talking about. There was no WiFi or 4G out in the forest, and Jake was too occupied with Ryan's packing to entertain them. So nostalgia will have to do.

"Do you remember Dr. Aldridge, ninth grade biology?" Jesse said, while emptying on of those little paper sachets of sugar he took from the airport into his warm drunk. Kristen stored hers.
"Not ninth, we had Miss Lynch for that. Aldridge was tenth grade." She replied. "What about him?"
"Do you remember that class where we were dissecting something - fish heads, I think -"
"Eugh, I remember, it was gross."
"Yeah, especially that bit where Aldridge went out to get extra scalpels, and Jack Bell popped his head's eye with a pen." Kristen laughed. They both did. "And when doctor came in everyone was just pissing their pants laughing at Jack, because bits of the fish's eye matter just parachuted onto his forehead."
"Holy crap, i remember that!"
The two both smiled and messed around, Jesse pretended he was going to pick out Kristen's eye. Kristen was laughing hysterically, while Jesse imitated their old classmate, Jack, who was in juvi now for assault and theft. Kristen swatted Jesse's hands away as he presented to be a retard with an overbite, spewing jokes about fish in Jack's sour Brooklyn accent.
"Stop it!" She cried. Jesse was such a laugh. They both collapsed onto the bed, and continued.
"But what was your point?"
Jesse glances over at Kris, still smiling.
"Nothing really, it was just a funny story. And just that I saw on Facebook Aldridge got married again ,to - fuck, I forgot, that assistant woman that used to follow the dyslexic kids a rounds, you remember?"
"Yeah, Fonda."
"Right, so on Facebook someone in  my mathematics posted this picture of Dr Aldridge and Mrs Fonda - well, now Mrs Aldridge - on his wall, cos when he was on holiday in this little Brazilian settlement near the sea or something he actually saw in the tourist trap."
"Really?"
" - at the same hotel as well,"
"Weird." Kristen said. She remembered Fonda, she was a dick. Kristen was surprised that Fonda and Aldridge needed together, they were totally different, plus, she always thought Aldridge gay.
"You know," she said, " my grandma once went to some no where town in Iceland, and she actually met her ex boyfriend from school, which was like fourth years after they graduated."
"Weird isn't it, you suppose we'll see someone from school here then, maybe when its actually the holidays, and someone comes over to see Swedish family?" Jesse asked. Kristen thought. Even if they did, no one would care.
Jesse knew what she was thinking, so they pursued other topics.
"Hey, this is a pretty chill rock song."
Kristen smiled.
"Yeah, it is."

-

Frankly, Kristen started to feel a bit tired of the forest. Only a tiny bit, though. It had been three weeks ish since they arrived in Sweden, and mostly she would hang about he cabin, otherwise just explore the forest. Ryan and Jake frequently left the cabin to Kristen and Jesse while they left to visit friends.

In the mornings they would have breakfast and watch a bit of Swedish television, then husband and husband would usually leave to Täby, setting Kristen and Jesse little chores like cutting wood or collecting branches. Most of their days would consists of the two walking in the woods, or climbing trees to look over the land. At lunch, they would go inside, eat and read or listen to music. A dinner Ryan would cook something, and it would feel all cosy and have a great atmosphere with the fire on, warm lights and lots of stories.
Jake said the Swedish have a word for that feeling, hygglig. That word represents a lot of the Scandinavian culture. Chilled out, feeling warm, like its Christmas without turkey.

Kristen liked that feeling. She could stay here forever, even if it did get a little boring. Jake, however, had other plans.