Chapter 19 ~ Crashing the Trip

Episode: Season 2 - No Exit Pt. 1

"Hm..." Dean mumbled as he glanced down, flipping through the case folder that Jo had just handed him.

Ellen wouldn't let her go on this case so she'd given it to us.

"I gotta admit, we hit the road for a lot less," Sam admitted and Dean nodded.

"Good. You like the case so much, you take it," Ellen interrupted them, walking over to us.

"Mom-" Jo started to say but she cut her off.

"Joanna Beth, this family has lost enough. I won't lose you too. I just won't." she told her daughter, silencing her.

"Cool, so I'll just go get ready then-" I started to walk off when Dean pulled me back.

"No can do, short-stack. You're not going," he informed me and I gaped at him.

"What are you talking about? Of course I'm going! I always go on hunting trips!" I said defiantly.

Dean just shook his head, "Well, as great as it would be for this spirit to take you off our hands, I don't think Sam would let me live it down,"

Sam nodded in agreement, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Sorry, Park, but I agree with Dean one this one. You can't go, it's too dangerous this time," he told me apologetically.

"Sam!" I whined, turning to him, "But I'm not blonde! It wouldn't want me!"

"No, not if he had any taste," Dean smirked and I punched him in the arm.

"Ow!" he mouthed, rubbing the sore spot.

"But Sam-" I started but he cut me off.

"We said no, Parker," Sam said sternly, "And that's final."

I huffed, crossing my arms in annoyance as the brothers walked out of the Roadhouse. A few minutes later, I heard the Impala's engine rev up before fading away in the distance. I turned back around to be met with an amused expression plastered on Ellen's face and a ring of keys on her finger held out to me.

"Blue Chevy out back," she told me and I grinned, snatching the keys from her.

"Thanks, Ellen!" I beamed, racing out the backdoor to the truck.

A few hours later, I arrived at an apartment building where the case was. Something or someone had been abducting young blondes. I smirked as I walked behind the apartment owner down one of the hallways as he droned on about the apartment I could rent. That spirit wasn't going to abduct me though, I thought to myself as I briefly fingered a lock of my charcoal-black hair.

"All the apartments come furnished too," he told me, smiling.

"It is so spacious! You know, my friend told me that I absolutely had to come check it out," I told him in fake excitement about the run-down building, "And I have to admit that she was right. You did a really good job with this place,"

Suddenly, Dean and Sam stepped out from around a corner and I faked a smile their way.

"What are you doing here?" Dean questioned and I could see anger in his green eyes.

I smirked, "There you are, honey!"

I walked over to him and wrapped an arm around his back, leaning into his side as I smiled up at the owner.

"This is my boyfriend Dean and his buddy Sam," I told him.

"Good to meet you!" the owner said warmly, "Quite a gal you got here,"

"Oh, yeah, she's a pistol," Dean laughed, squeezing me around the middle to which I grimaced.

"So did you already check out the apartment?" I asked him sweetly, "The one for rent?"

"You bet. Yes. Loved it. Great flow," Dean told the man, faking a smile.

"How'd you get in?" he asked in suspicion.

"It was open," Dean said.

"Now, Ed, um, when did the last tenant move out?" I asked him.

"Uh, about a month ago. Cut and run too. Stiffed me for the rent..." the owner told us.

"Well, her loss, our gain. 'Cause if Dean-o loves it, it's good enough for me," I laughed.

"Aw, sweetie." he shot me a false smile, squeezing me again.

The owner started to tell us more about the last renter of the apartment then but I couldn't focus on his words. The brothers listened intently to the man but all I could feel was the warm sensation Dean's hand was making on my back, making goosebumps pop up across the skin under my t-shirt. I wriggled out of his grasp, avoiding his eyes as he sent me a funny look. When the man finished his story, we entered the small apartment and I flopped onto the sofa.

"You weren't supposed to come, Parker," Sam admonished as Dean shut the door behind us.

I sighed, glancing up at him.

"Yeah, but you guys needed me and you know it. I can help with this! And like I said before, I'm in no danger. Believe me," I shot him a small smile.

Sam just shook his head, running a hand through his hair in frustration.

"Fine," he finally seceded before pointing to himself and then Dean, "But you stick close to me or Dean the whole time so we can keep an eye on you,"

"Yes, sir," I saluted him with a giggle to which Sam glared.

"Parker, that's not funny. I-" Sam started when a sudden knock on the door interrupted him.

Dean furrowed his eyebrows in confusion before pulling on the doorknob. The door swung open to reveal a familiar blonde standing in the doorway. She smiled at the three of us and I scowled.

"Hey, guys." Jo greeted.