Chapter 4 ~ Squishing Bugs

Episode: Season 1 - Bugs Pt. 2

I dozed on and off in the backseat while Sam and Dean discussed the town's bug issue.

"Ooh, hey, pull over here," Dean said to Sam suddenly.

Sam obliged, pulling over into the driveway of one of the unsold houses.

"We at the hotel yet?" I mumbled tiredly, my brain foggy from sleep.

Dean got out of the car then and Sam just shrugged at me in response. Gee, thanks, Sam. That's so helpful, I thought to myself sarcastically.

"It's too late to talk to anybody else," Dean shouted to Sam as he lifted up the door to the carport.

"We're gonna squat in an empty house?" Sam groaned.

Dean grinned, beckoning to his younger brother, "I wanna try the steam-shower. Come on!"

As Sam begrudgingly drove in, I punched Dean out the car window as we passed him. Jerk. The next day was more of an adventure than before. Apparently, this entire time, the town had been built on Native American burial grounds...and the bugs were after the developer and his family. Once the boys and I arrived at the man's house, things began to get out of control. A swarm of bugs flocked to the house as we all clamored inside.

I could hear their tiny wings beating rapidly outside the walls of the house.

"I need towels!" Dean told Larry, taking charge.

"Okay, we gotta lock this place up - doors, window, fireplace, everything okay?" Sam told Larry's son.

The boy nodded in response. My heart raced in my chest as I took the towels from Dean and began to stuff them in front of the door. Hopefully, it would keep those nasty little buggers (yes, pun intended) out. Dean bent down beside me and helped secure the other end. The lights flickered overhead just then and in a blink, we were plunged into darkness.

I sighed, "Seriously?!"

The bugs were becoming even louder now, their winged-bodies slapping noisily against the window-panes like hail. Sam helped me up off the floor and I stood in between the brothers as the noise became deafening all around us.

"So what do we do now?" Larry asked, turning to Sam as Dean walked off in search of something.

"We try to outlast them. Hopefully, the curse will end at sunrise," he told him seriously.

"Hopefully?" the man asked doubtfully.

Dean returned, a can of bug spray in hand.

"That's the best you can come up with?" I asked, crossing my arms over my gray Mickey Mouse t-shirt.

He shrugged, "Better than just standing there and waiting for someone else to take care of it,"

I stuck my tongue out at him briefly. A squeaking noise filled my ears suddenly...and it was coming from the fireplace.

"Uh, I think we need to get upstairs," Dean stated.

I scoffed, eyes widening slightly, "Ya think?" I hissed at him.

He rolled his eyes just as a swarm of bugs broke free from the fireplace. We all scampered up the stairs away from them but it was useless. They just kept coming! Dean sprayed them with the can of bug spray, a lighter attached at the end. We must have spent hours fighting back those bugs when finally, the first rays of sunlight shone down from the holes in the ceiling and in a twist of fate, the beetles disappeared. I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding and glanced up at Sam.

"I think you may have been right about those bugs, Sammy."