Chapter 10 ~ Pranking Dean

Episode: Season 1, Scarecrow Pt. 2

The road to Indiana was long and boring with more than one fight with Dean. Surprise, surprise. Mostly over music and once over the fact that he got more ketchup for his fries than I did at Wendy's. Plus he felt the need to rub it in my face. Jerk. Finally, we reached Burkitsville and Dean pulled out his phone, staring down at the tiny screen. I popped the last fry into my mouth before chucking the empty carton over the seat.

"Calling Sam already?" I asked snarkily between bites of fries.

Dean rolled his eyes, "I don't need him. We have a job to do, let's just focus on that,"

I didn't say anything, just made a face before following him out of the car. An old man sat outside one of the stores. Above him a sign read "Scotty's Cafe". We made our way over to him and Dean introduced himself under one of his aliases.

"What can I do for you, John?" the man, Scotty, asked Dean.

Dean pulled out some folded-up pieces of paper from his pocket before handing them to the man, "I was wondering if you've seen these people, by chance,"

"Nope," the man shook his head before looking back up at us, "Who are they?"

"Friends of mine. They went missing about a year ago. They passed through somewhere around here," I lied to the man with a fake sincere expression plastered on my face.

"I've already asked around Scottsburg and Salem," Dean supplied, sending me a warning look.

I rolled my eyes. That boy was an idiot if he thought I was just going to stand here and let him take over. After all, just because he was the oldest didn't make him the one in charge here.

"Sorry.We don't get many strangers around here," Scotty shrugged.

Dean and I shared a look before bidding the man goodbye and getting back in the Impala. We checked a few more places, even met an old couple and their niece who actually happened to know the missing couple. Apparently, they'd went missing on the highway. He gave Dean directions and we drove there. Suddenly, the EMF meter started going off from Dean's bag in the backseat and I reached over, taking it in my hands. Dean glanced down at it briefly and laughed.

"Oh, good. For a second there, I thought it was your stomach making those noises," he smirked.

I stuck my tongue out at him as we drove farther down the road before reaching an abandoned apple orchard. The spikes on top lit up even brighter and we shared a look.

"Well, let's go check it out," Dean shrugged.

He opened up his car door and got out. I looked after him and groaned.

"This has bad idea written all over it..." I sighed as I stared out at the empty orchard before following after him.

We walked through the trees, weaving in and out between them before my eyes landed on a scarecrow dead ahead. I slapped Dean on the arm to get his attention and pointed at it.

"Over there!" I said, tromping through the leaves towards it.

Its face was horrifying, all stitched up where the nose should be. The eye sockets were empty and lifeless. I loved it but Dean clearly didn't. While he was entranced by the creepy face, I sneaked around behind it and crept up it with a ladder that was nearby. Dean did the same from the front of the scarecrow, leaning in close to inspect it. He pulled the missing persons' papers out of his pocket and while he was distracted, I put my arms behind the scarecrow's and moved the arms of it towards Dean as if it had come to life.

He let out a girlish shriek and fell off the ladder. I started laughing hysterically as I got down from the ladder and walked over to him. He glared up at me from the ground and I shrugged.

"That's what you get for taking me anywhere with you, Dean-o." I smirked.