Chapter 15 ~ Winchesters Make-Up

Episode: Season 1 - Dead Man's Blood Pt.2

We tried to break into the vampire's nest after that... Needless to say, it didn't go well and we were now back in a hotel room, pouring over old books to figure out how to get this Colt. John sent Dean to the funeral home to obtain some dead man's blood to poison the vampires with. Personally, I was a fan of them but I just kept that fact to myself in a room full of hunters. Too many years of watching The Little Vampire on Pay-Per-View as a kid, I suppose. I sat down on a couch beside the window while we waited.

"It shouldn't be taking this long. I should go help," Sam sighed, pacing the floor.

I rolled my eyes, "Believe me, Sam, if they kidnapped him, they'd bring him right back,"

John shot me a look, silencing me.

"Dean's got it," he told Sam, eyes going back to the papers he had spread out over the desk.

Sam said nothing, just continued to pace.

"Sammy?" John said and this time, Sam looked up at him.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"I don't think I ever told you this, but the day you were born, you know what I did?"

"No,"

"I put 100 bucks into a savings account for you. I did the same thing for your brother," John smiled sadly, "It was a college fund. And every month, I'd put in another $100 until... Anyway, my point is, Sam, that this is never the life that I wanted for you,"

"Then why'd you get so mad when I left?" Sam asked softly and I glanced up at the two of them.

"You got to understand something. After your mother passed, all I saw was evil, everywhere. And all I cared about was keeping you boys alive. I wanted you prepared, ready," John continued, "So somewhere along the line, I, uh, I stopped being your father. And I - I became your drill sergeant. So when you said you wanted to go away to school, all I could think about, my only thought was that you were gonna be alone...vulnerable. Sammy, it just It never occurred to me what you wanted. I just couldn't accept the fact that you and me - we're just different,"

I stayed silent through his speech, instead choosing to look out the window so as not to interrupt them. That is, not until, John spoke up.

"And the same goes for you, Parker," he said suddenly, his words directed at me now as I turned to face him in my seat, "Ever since you became friends with the boys and...and I saw how it was with your aunt, I always saw you as one of mine. When I taught you things - how to shoot a gun, how to protect yourself, I thought I was doing good. I - I never realized I was being your drill sergeant, too. I never realized that you needed a father just as much as Dean and Sam did..."

A small smile graced my face and John returned it. Sam laughed softly through tears clouding his eyes.

"We're not different, dad. Not anymore. With what happened to mom and Jess - we probably have a lot more in common than just about anyone," Sam said to him.

John smiled sadly, "I guess you're right, son,"

"And John... I, um... You may have been a sergeant but...I always appreciated everything you did for me. You did more for me than Aunt Grace ever did..." I laughed, slightly humorlessly and John nodded, smiling a small smile at him.

"Hey, dad? What happened to that college fund?" Sam finally asked him.

John was silent a moment, "Spent it on ammo."

Sam and I burst out laughing and John joined in. Dean walked in then, closing the door behind him.

"Man, there's some heavy security to protect a bunch of dead guys," Dean lamented and I snickered, rolling my eyes.

"Did you get it?" John asked him and Dean pulled out a dark jar filled with crimson blood.

"You know what to do." he smirked at his sons.