Chapter 14 ~ Fighting in the Road

Episode: Season 1 - Dead Man's Blood, Pt. 1

John was back. I thought it was a good thing at first. We'd been looking for him for months and finally, we'd found him. But Sam was unhappy and I sensed Dean was the same. I shifted from my seat in the back of the Impala as Sam turned a curve, his hands holding on tightly to the steering wheel. Right now, we were on the trail of some vampires that supposedly had a gun called the Colt. A gun that some said would kill demons.

I rolled my eyes. Yeah, right. Like that was possible. My eyes scanned ahead, John's truck barreling down the road in front of us.

"Yeah, dad. All right, got it," Dean said into his cell-phone before ending the call and gesturing to Sam, "Pull off the next exit,"

"Why?" Sam asked, knuckles turning white from his grip on the wheel.

"'Cause dad thinks we got the vampires' trail," Dean answered him.

Sam scoffed, "How?"

"I don't know. He didn't say," Dean shrugged in response.

Suddenly, Sam sped up, making me fall back into the seat. Dean glanced over at him in confusion as they passed John. The Impala swerved in front of John's truck, making him come to a sudden stop.

"Oh, no," Dean muttered as his younger brother got out of the car, "Sam!"

I followed behind the both of them, crawling out of the backseat. I couldn't miss this.

"What was that?" John asked him sternly.

"We need to talk,"

"About what?"

"About everything. Where we going, dad? What's the big deal about this gun?" Sam shot back.

"Sammy, come on. We can Q&A after we kill all the vampires," Dean tried to intervene.

"Your brother's right. We don't have time for this," John agreed and I rolled my eyes.

"Last we saw you, you said it was too dangerous to be together. Now, out of the blue, you need our help. Obviously something big's going down, and we want to know what!"

"Get back in the car," John said lowly and I arched my eyebrows.

"No," Sam told him.

"I said get back in the car," he repeated, coming closer to Sam.

Oh, that's it! I thought to myself, stepping up to John.

"Yeah, and he said no!" I growled, my lips pursed in anger.

"All right, you made your point, tough guy. Look, we're all tired. We can talk about this later," Dean intervened, grabbing Sam and I, trying to pull us away, "Sammy, Park, I mean it. Come on,"

"This is why I left in the first place," Sam muttered under his breath as we walked back to the Impala.

"What'd you say?" John asked, his voice dangerously low.

Sam whipped back around, "You heard me,"

"Yeah, you left. Your brother and me - we needed you. You walked away, Sam. You walked away!" John spat, eyes darkening with anger as they landed on me,"And you should never even have come on this trip! You don't belong here!"

"You're the one who said, "don't come back, dad. You're the one who closed that door, not me!" Sam shouted back at him.

I scoffed at the older man, "Let's get one thing straight here: I came here for Sam and Dean, not for you. And whenever I came as a kid on one of your little hunting trips, I came for them. Not you. You used to boss me around like I was yours when I wasn't. Now you're just angry that you can't control me anymore!"

John grabbed onto the front of my t-shirt but just as he did, Dean pulled him off me.

"Stop it, stop it! That's enough!" Dean shouted at the three of us before turning to John, "That means you, too."

Sam, John, and I glared at each other before walking back to our vehicles. I climbed in the backseat just as Dean muttered under his breath, "Terrific."