So, instead, he just stayed quiet and began drawing birds perched on the tree. Dante didn't try to talk to him, and he liked that. He liked being left alone to draw. But he also liked that Dante sat next to him while he did it. It's not that he wanted to be completely alone.

                Staz drew two birds on one of the branches, making them sit close together, almost touching. He grabbed at his chalk and colored them in, one with darker hair like Staz's and one with lighter hair like Dante's. He swirled the colors, ruining the birds' heads.

                But it was the best he could do to show what he felt. He looked up at Dante, anxiously running his thumbs up and down on the chalk as he waited for a reaction.

                Dante looked down at the drawing. To him, it just looked like a messy swirl of colors done by a five year old. He knew Staz was trying to say something with it, but he didn't know what.

                So he just smiled at Staz. "It's great, Staz."

                Staz smiled, repeatedly slapping both of his hands against the ground this time. He didn't realize that Dante didn't understand. He was just excited that someone seemed to get what he was expressing.

                He picked up the chalk again, falling into his own little world as he resumed drawing those monotone birds of his. Dante watched him silently, wishing he could understand Staz but knowing he'd just keep pretending he did until he truly figured the boy out.

#2- Kaz Warrick and Aaron Kizziar

                Kaz wandered outside with the rest of the class. It was gym time, and the gym teacher, Mr. Hendricks, was carrying a bag of footballs and pinnies. He led the kids down to the field and turned to face the group.

                "Everybody partner up!" he said.

                Kids eagerly ran to their friends. Kaz pouted a little, because Lily was usually his partner but she was out sick today. He waited until everyone had paired up, leaving only four kids standing and staring at each other awkwardly.

                Mr. Hendricks sighed. "Alright, Mitch and Gabby partner up. Kaz and Aaron, you two partner up."

                Some kids snickered and some gave Kaz a sympathetic expression. No one ever wanted to get stuck as Aaron Kizziar's partner in gym.

                But the little blond boy wandered over to Kaz. Aaron's whole body was crackling with barely contained energy, eager to run around and get it out. Kaz forced a smile, knowing his mom would want him to be nice to Aaron.

                "Hi Aaron," he said.

                "Are you good at football?" Aaron asked. "My brother plays in the streets with his friends, but they never let me join."

                Kaz shrugged. "I've never played before."

                Mr. Hendricks went around, handing each pair a football. He placed the ball in Aaron's hands and gave him a stern look.

                "Aaron Kizziar, you better control yourself or I'll make you sit out," he warned before moving on.

                Aaron frowned after him and looked down at the football in his hands. He fit his fingers along the lace and backed away a distance from Kaz.