37 | TODAY

"To live is too suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." --Friedrich Nietsche

[37]

ONE LOUD PIERCING beep and that's all it takes for my eyes to snap open and the horrible feeling of panic set in. I can't think of why my eyes are open though, even if the panic heaves heavily in my chest.

My eyes aren't adjusting to the bright lights quickly which is why everything is so blurry. I groan as a sudden pain encloses itself in my head. I blink rapidly, taking in my surroundings.

And that's when it hits me.

I bolt up from my chair and scream for help. Tears fill my eyes before they quickly cascade down my face. Horror fills my insides as I stare at my best friend. My eyes are wide with fright and all I do is stare. I stare at the life that is vanishing before my eyes.

So quickly, too soon.

Scrubs of different colours flash around me as they try to save her; as they try to save Lily.

Someone yanks my arm and I'm pulled from the room. I reach my hand out to Lily but all I seem to do is get further away from the mess I first created.

This whole thing is my fault.

My throat burns forming a scream that doesn't make any sound. It's just me in my thoughts. I see nothing as I try to make out my surroundings. Everything is just suddenly...black. While my best friend fades away in the room next door, I fade in the room I'm standing in.

The persons whose hand is still wrapped around mine pulls me into a hug. I cry into their chest as sobs of grief break inside of me. I clutch the person's shirt thinking I might fall.

I just want her to stay. I want to hear her cheery laugh as she yells at me in a joking manner. I want her to make fun of the hot models on TV. I want her to give me advice on how to fix this. And most of all, I want to apologise to her.

I want my best friend. After everything I've been through, my demons believe that maybe if they take one more person out of my life, I'll be happy?

I pull away from the chest I realise as Adams and slowly walk over to Nolan. His eyes and cheeks are swollen and red with tears. I wrap my arms around his torso all while reaching my hand out towards Adam. There we stand in the hospital waiting room together.

As a family.

We all cry for Lily in hope that they'll save her. Maybe they will, but, maybe they won't. Nolan's body shakes hysterically while he cries for his twin sister. Adam does too. Both fully grown males cry for a girl's life they've grown to love over years of living.

The life of Lily Harley. Our best friend and sister.

-

Waking up is no longer the pleasure it used to be. Now it's a harsh, harsh nightmare except, I'm awake experiencing every little thing.

I snuggle into Adams' shoulder as best as I can before giving up. It's useless. I can't get back to sleep, so what's the point in even trying?

I sigh and groggily stand up, walking towards the mini cafeteria in hope for a coffee. My feet trudge on the ground loudly while I keep my eyes on my shoes, not wanting people to look at my swollen and tear-stained face right now.

I head over to the coffee machine and fill three coffees up before walking over to the register and pulling out a fifty dollar note. The lady at the counter smiles warmly at me before giving me my change and wishing me goodbye.