14 | POLICE

"I'm often quiet when I'm screaming on the inside."

[14]

HAVE YOU EVER felt so afraid of something that the mere thought of it could trigger you?

My whole life I've been afraid. So afraid that I thought that my life was a joke. Maybe it was...but I can't know for sure.

I come back to conscious after a very dark sleep and am met with whispers.

"We need to get into contact with her family," someone whispers.

"I've tried but no one picks up," Adam says quietly. "I tried her brother but he no longer attends our school."

Brother?

"What about her parents?" The same voice from before says.

"Nothing. It's like they don't even exist," Adam states, confusion present in his voice.

Parents?

"We'll get the police to look into the matter after they've had a chat with her."

"I don't know if she'll like - " Adam gets cut off.

"It's a must, Adam, you can't hold it off forever," the person says making Adam sigh.

"Okay, I'll try talking to her again and if she doesn't come through, the police can talk to her."

I hear footsteps come closer to my bed. A warm hand touches my forehead. I had to control everything in me to not flinch and blow my cover.

"We'll fix her Adam, we'll get there..."

"I know, mum," Adam whispers back.

"I love you...just stay strong for her. She needs you most," she says. The door closes and I'm suddenly met with a silence.

My eyes flutter open but then quickly close due to the brightness of the room.

"Isabelle?"

I open my eyes to be met with a very worried Adam. 

"I'm so sorry they injected you with that stuff, it's just that you weren't right in the head," Adam apologises, pleading for forgiveness.

I nod my head and give him a small reassuring smile. Adam visibly relaxes and sits down in the chair next to me.

A comfortable silence elopes us and I sigh in warmth, snuggling closer into the blankets.

"Isabelle?" Adam says again.

I turn my head and look him in the eyes. "You need to tell me. Who did this to you?" He whispers.

I blink once and slowly shake my head. They'll come back for me. They won't let me go.

"Please Isabelle, just tell me how it happened," Adams begs. "Don't tell me who, just tell me how."

I contemplate it for a little while before slowly nodding my head.

"Okay..."

I don't know if it is the fact that I finally agreed to tell Adam how it happened, or if it is that I am finally - kind of - opening up to him, but Adam seems to be in a state of shock. Again, I don't know why.

I continue anyway.

"It was that night of the party..." I start. Adam looks over at me and nods his head for me to continue.