Chapter XVII

James hasn't died yet but he already knows how hell feels like.  He has been living his hell in the past few days.

James was trying to direct his attention on papers and reports cluttering his desk. A financial report was due tomorrow, but he was nowhere done with the report’s first paragraph and he has been writing for the entire morning.  James leaned back on his chair and raked his fingers through his hair. He looked over at his cluttered desk and saw a beautiful lady smiling at her.  It was Devon’s picture and it has been a while since he has last seen that smile.

He rubbed his forehead and tried to remember when his hell started.  It has been after the family dinner. Everything went smoothly during that night, James could not put a finger on what went wrong.  Right after dinner, Devon has been avoiding him. Trying to ditch all his efforts to take her out, talk to her, and was even able to avoid seeing him at her house.

James has talked to her over the phone but she kept the conversations short, telling him that she’s busy or in the middle of something that can’t be interrupted.  James tried to visit him at her work, but officemates were unable to identify where she has gone.  When he visited her at home, it’s whether she was already asleep or not yet in.  It has been like that in the past couple of weeks.   Two weeks of hell and he has no idea why things are happening as they are now.

James closed his eyes and maybe, when he opened them things would be different.  He heard somebody came into in, softly closing the door.  James opened his eyes and saw the most refreshing sight in hell.

“Hi,” James smiled instantly, standing up to meet Devon.

Devon made a small wave.  “Hi.”

“Where have you been?” James asked.  “I have been thinking you’re avoiding me these past few days.” He walked towards Devon, about to pull her into his arms.  But Devon distanced herself and bowed her head.

“I was,” Devon mumbled.

“What?” James asked, looking a bit lost.

“I was really avoiding you,” Devon explained.  She looked out in the window and bit her lower lip.  She has dark circles under her eyes, showing lack of sleep. Her eyes were also a bit puffed, showing that she has been crying lately. 

“What’s wrong?” James asked. “Did I do something wrong?”

Devon shook and bowed her head.  James held Devon’s shoulder and turned her towards him.  He tried to catch her eyes. 

“This, everything is wrong,” Devon whispered. 

“What are you talking about?” James can’t figure out what he was saying.

Devon took a deep breath and looked at James, trying hard to overcome the tears and the tremors in her voice. “We’re over, James,”  Devon bravely trying to meet his eyes.

James looked at Devon at felt that everything was just a big joke.  “Are you kidding me? What’s happening, Devon? I don’t understand what’s happening.”