Chapter XXV

September 2012...

The Singapore Changi Airport was bustling with activity.  Tourists, executives, and other nationalities visiting the country whether for pleasure or business are streaming in and out of the airport doors.  For some, a trip to Singapore can also mean life and death.

It was the first time for Devon to go out of the country, and she wished she could have done it when she was stronger.  Better late than never, she said to herself, positively. 

She was being wheeled through the airport by James.  She could have done it by herself, after all she’s using an electronic which she could easily operate by clicking some buttons through her thumb.  But James said he prefer to wheel her out instead. 

Walking besides James and Devon was Dr. Alvarez who decided to fly with them to accompany them to the Singaporean clinic that specializes in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.  There’s actually no need for him to travel with them, but Dr. Alvarez wants to make sure that his patient will be safe throughout her first flight out of the country. 

Mr. Rocafort immediately offered his residence in Singapore. Since it is one of the countries which he would often visit during his business trips, he has decided to purchase a property in the country several years ago. One of his father’s investments in Singapore is a 2-bedroom executive condominium unit in Flora Drive.  His father also made transportation arrangements for them.

“You don’t have to worry about anything,” Mr. Rocafort reassured. 

James remembered his father assuring him. He was still hesitant on taking his father’s help, but he can’t let his pride blind him. Devon needs this Singapore trip.

A van commissioned by Mr. Rocafort is already waiting for them outside, with the driver holding a sign with James’ name written on it.

The specialized van was able to fit Devon’s electric chair in it, and they went straight to the condominium unit.  Dr. Alvarez has an appointment with the clinic later that day while Devon rest.   They hope to take Devon to the hospital tomorrow for evaluation and inclusion in the clinical treatment. 

Devon looked extremely tired while on the elevator.  The almost four-hour flight has taken toll on her body. All she wants to do is lie down. But when James opened the apartment door, Devon’s eyebrows shot up.  

The living room was warm and yet sophisticated and modern.  The wooden tables were sleek and shiny, the brown couch looks inviting with its pale gray throw pillows. The lamps were also pale gray, while the rug in the middle of the room has squares with different hues of brown.  The only color in the room was the inviting baby blue soft-cushioned chair.

The windows have a perfect view of the city and also the swimming pool, with its palm trees and resort-like landscape. 

“Your father has good taste,” Dr. Alvarez announced. 

“It’s his assistant who has good taste,” James answered.  “All he does is look at the pictures and nod.”