Chapter XII

James smiled as he woke up with a familiar body snuggling close to him under the thick blankets.  He smiled as he looked at his wife’s sleeping head cradled on the hook of his shoulder.  James shifted a little to look at Devon more closely,  Devon meanwhile, snuggled deeper into James.  He sniffed at her hair and planted an affectionate kiss on the top of her head.

They arrived from Baguio, a couple of days ago. Today, they are planning to explore Sagada and stay there for a night.  Baguio has always held a special place in their hearts and James would never forget why.

****

January, last year…

The early morning fog was thick in Baguio, the sun hasn’t risen yet.  It was still early but James was already awake and packing several things on the two bags in front of him. He and his girlfriend Devon are going on a hike.  This vacation was a great break for all the problems that they faced in the past few years.  He smiled and inhaled the sweet pine smell.

“Good morning handsome,”  a female voice spoke behind James.

James turned around and smiled at Devon who was standing behind him, “Good morning to you too, gorgeous.”

Devon smiled brightly. “Oh, I was referring to the horse,” pointing to a horse standing near James.  The horse snorted and Devon could not help but giggle. She walked towards the horse and she started to pat its back.

James pretended to be irritated. “Okay, you can sleep with him from now on. Let’s see if he can make squeal.”

Devon turned into bright red and slapped James on his arm. “Be quiet.”

James laughed hard.  He pulled Devon and kissed her on the forehead. “You started it.”

Devon smiled at the soft kiss. “Are we going to ride?”

“No, we’re going for a hike,” James smiled and signalled Devon to come closer.  He held up Devon’s pack and she slid her arms inside the straps.

They have been in Baguio for four days already. This was their last day and will be returning to the chaos they left in Cebu.  Nobody was speaking as they passed by the trees and joggers who were taking their morning exercise.  They followed the trodden path of horses and feet.  Both of them were taking in the fresh morning air and peace.

“Where are we going,” Devon finally asked James.  They have been walking for almost an hour. A sun’s beam has made it through the pine forage and was casting a bright light on the pine forest. Devon was not getting bored or tired, but she was wondering on where the hike will take her.

“Breakfast,” James answered looking back at her.  He stopped on his tracks and looked at the girl he has been with for more than two years.  She was wearing a blue sweater over her petite frame.  She was wearing her favourite grey pants and a pair of comfortable sneakers.  She was wearing her hair down and absolutely no make-up on.  She was not that fond in putting paint on her face.