Chapter XVI

Still two years ago...

It was early Sunday morning and James was busy dressing up for church.  He was going to attend the mass with Devon and her family and he doesn’t want to be late.

He walked into the kitchen and was about to grab a glass of water when he noticed yesterday’s newspaper on the table.  He noticed that a familiar face was plastered on the business section of the paper.  It was his father.

James rarely saw his father after their misunderstanding. He spent most of his time in his condo unit and in Devon’s house.  Devon was unaware of the conversation between James and Mr. Rocafort as he preferred to keep it to himself. The last thing he wanted was for Devon to leave him because of his father’s mistakes.

He was about to leave the unit when he heard the telephone ring.

“Hello,” James answered.

“Hi, son,” Mrs. Rocafort’s sweet voice answered back. “You’re up early.”

“Hi mom,” James patiently answered. “I’m going to church with Devon.”  He heard an approving hum from his mother.  “Is there anything else, mom?”

“Oh, yes. Are you going home today?”  Mrs. Rocafort eagerly continued. “We haven’t seen you in weeks. Your dad and I miss you.”

James tried to control his anger upon hearing the word “dad.”  “Sorry mom,” he apologized. “I’m too busy with work. The two of us can go out this week, if you want,” James replied and emphasized the word “two.” He heard another low hum from his mother.

“I really got to go, I’ll be late for mass.”  James reluctantly ended the call. He knows that his mother is a sweet person and does not deserve any cold treatment from him.  But he also knows that whatever he says to his mom, would definitely reach his dad.

As James was rushing to get to Devon’s house on time, the Rocafort power couple was silently eating breakfast.

“I called James,” Mrs. Rocafort started. Mr. Rocafort raised his eyes from the newspaper and glanced at his wife. “I asked him if he will be coming over today.”

“And?” Mr. Rocafort asked after a brief silence.

“He said no,” Mrs. Rocafort sighed.  Her husband just nodded his head.  She looked at him.  She knows that something was amiss between father and son.  “Whatever it was you disagreed on, you should talk to him.”

Mr. Rocafort just nodded and continued reading the newspaper.  They continued to eat in silence. 

“I don’t want to lose a son,” Mrs. Rocafort stiffly continued. She stood up and was about to walk out of the dining hall.

“If your son would stop being so stubborn and start listening to me, then that will be the time I will…” Mr. Rocafort harshly retorted.