Chapter IV.

James was looking at the screen of his laptop in his small cubicle in the advertising firm where he has been working for a year now. He has been trying his very best to gradually step up his career.  This work and his salary were far from what he had before, when he was still managing the family business or businesses.  But when he decided to marry Devon and go against what his father wants, he dropped everything like a hot potato.

He glanced at his wristwatch.  He was trying to wrap his work up so that he would be able to go home, early.  His hard work is paying off, he was just promoted a couple of days ago.  Promotion would not only mean another step in the salary table, but would also mean more responsibilities.   This is the day he and Devon would be celebrating his promotion.

James was in deep concentration with the design and program, when he heard another officemate calling his name.

“James, phone call for you,”  his officemate called, while holding the receiver. 

James was not expecting any call.  “Hello?”

“Hi, James,”  the authoritative male voice on the other end of the line greeted.

James was shocked to hear that voice, he has not heard that voice before. He did not say anything.

“I was going to call you on the cell phone, but I figured you would not be answering my call. So, I decided to call you on the office instead,” the male voice explained.

“What do you want,” James silently asked, with no hint of expression on his voice.

“I just want to congratulate you, James,”  the man continued.  “I heard you got promoted.”

“Who told you that?” James asked, there are few people who knew about that.

“Well, a friend of mine is a board of director in your firm and I asked how you were doing,” the man answered slowly.  “He told me that you got promoted.”

James wavered. Was he promoted because of his good work or was it because this man has something to do with it again?  “Do you have anything to do with it?”

“With the promotion?” the man surprisingly asked. “Of course not.  I just asked him how you were doing. As your father, James, I want to know if you are okay. Your mother is very worried about you.”

“I never thought that you were still my father. I thought I was no longer your son,”  James answered.

“James, about that,”  his father started.  “I…”

“No time to talk about that,” James cut him.  “I have work to do, and I honestly prefer if you would not be calling this number again.”

James did not wait for his father’s reply and immediately said goodbye.  He placed the receiver back and walked towards his cubicle.  He started to rub his forehead, he hated what he was feeling. He’s so angry with his father, but he wished that he also said he was worried about him, too.