15.

After repeatedly getting sent to voicemail, Carter's anxiety and worry about Beyoncé began to eat him alive

After repeatedly getting sent to voicemail, Carter's anxiety and worry about Beyoncé began to eat him alive. He knew she was in trouble when she did not respond to him, and his blood boiled when heard the cringing words from whoever was assaulting her.

"Yo, you think there's a shortcut we can take??" He pestered the driver, "It's an emergency!"

"This traffic is pretty tight, but I will do my best, Mr. Carter."

He groaned and sat back in his seat. His left leg shook uncontrollably and he tried to redial her number one more time just to be sent to voicemail once again. "Fuck!"

Think, Carter, think.. he mumbled under his breath as he scrolled through his contact list. Calling one of the girls would be helpful, but he needed someone who had direct contact with Beyoncé and her home. The line rung a few times before the familiar voice of Iman picked up the phone.

"Iman!" Carter yelled before Iman could finish his introduction "I need you to check on Beyoncé, I think she's in trouble."

"Right away, sir." Carter made Iman call him back on his cellular phone and he stayed on the line as Iman traveled up to Beyoncé's apartment.

"Who was the last person you let up to her place!?" He asked in a rushed tone

"Some gentlemen, I believe he said his name was Lance." Carter knew vaguely of him, but knew enough that he and Beyoncé once dated. Before Carter could continue to with questions, Iman alerted him that Beyoncé's door was cracked opened.

"He left, sir-"

"I don't care about him right now just check on her, please!" cried Carter. Iman entered the home slowly and was shocked to see Beyoncé passed out on the door with her neck covered in bruises. He reached down to check her carotid artery and felt a faint yet present pulse.

"She's alive, but has passed out."

Carter blew a sigh of relief and thanked God that it was nothing worse. "I'm close, but just get her on the sofa and place a cool rag on her head." He requested, before ending the phone call.

"Look man, just take my bags home and I'll be there later." Carter said to his driver, who agreed with no hesitation; he could no longer sit in this traffic. He left out of the car and jogged three blocks to Beyoncé's building and chose the stairs over the elevator to get to her faster. When he arrived, Beyoncé was on the couch stirring in her sleep.

"Baby .." Carter mumbled quietly as he approached her. He crouched down to her level and petted her head while simultaneously caressing her hand. "Can you hear me?"

"..Yes, w-what happened?" she asked, her voice now hoarse from her screams.

"What do you remember?"

She sighed, "Just, seeing Lance's face before blacking out. I think we had a bit of an altercation before hand."

Carter nodded, "He chocked you, I don't know with the intent to kill, but, you're alive and that's all that matters. Did he touch you elsewhere?"

Scared, Beyoncé shook her head no. Tears began to fill her eyes and her voice became shaky "I don't know. I don't remember." The thought of Lance rapping her while she laid on the floor unconscious sent a wave of uncomfortable chills throughout her body; "I don't know!" She voiced again, now in full blown tears. Carter held back his own, and stood up to cuddle her in his arms.

"I think we should go to the hospital-"

"They won't believe me!" she yelled at him

"Regardless of their opinion, I still think we need to go to make sure you're okay and see if he .. y'know."

His words were not helping, so he pulled Beyoncé closer and placed a light kiss on her forehead, "I promise I'm not going anywhere, I'll be by your side the whole time, okay?"

"Okay."

Carter helped Beyoncé get dressed in a simple tshirt and sweatpants before they left for the hospital. Upon arrival, the staff acted quickly once they noticed the now darken bruises around her neck. She had to plead with them to not hurt or take Carter away from her, for they assumed he was the abuser.

"It was my ex.." she told the nurse, who was currently assessing other areas of her body.

"I understand, and as my job states I have to get officials involved."

"Of course."

As the nurse ran a few test, including the most important for sexual assault, they allowed Beyoncé to get comfortable in a room with food and drinks until police officers arrived.

"Girl, you tearing that sandwich up." Carter teased to put a bit of laughter in Beyoncé's life. When a smile broke on her face, he knew he succeeded.

"Why are you back so soon?" She questioned.

"I was actually on my way to surprise you. When we were on FaceTime, I was trying to hide the fact that I was actually in the middle of landing."

"Well, I'm glad you're here .. I don't know where I'd be if I never answered your call."

Carter shook his head, "I swear I'm going to kill him-"

"No, no. Let's not go that far."

"But he hurt you! I refuse to let that shit go, B. And if I found out he sexually assisted you, I'm out for blood."

"Okay, okay. Just, don't be stupid about it." A knock on the door halted their conversation, and with Beyoncé's consent, three officers walked in. They introduced themselves separately and began to get the story from Beyoncé of what she remembered taking place. Carter enforced to them that this case should be taken seriously, but in the back of his head knew that assault cases were the last thing these officers cared about. Once Beyoncé gave them a description and contact information on Lance, they thanked her for her time and departed. After the police, the nurse who first assisted Beyoncé came back with the results from the test. Carter and Beyoncé both said a silent prayer once they found out that no trace of Lance's DNA or semen was present on her body.

***

Short, but too the point. This will be ending soon! Thank you for all the votes, comments, and feedback!

Should Carter take action against Lance? Let me know! Vote, comment, leave feedback.

Much love, Rae🌸