12

"Damn, how did you even do this?" Za questioned, inching closer to the painting I'd just finished. I sat perched on a bar stool in front of my easel and the boys huddled around me, admiring my work.

"It's perfect, Babe," Jason said, wrapping his arms around my waist. "She's gonna love it."

"When are you giving it to her?" I hopped off the stool and started cleaning up all the paint around me. I'd been in the house for a while now, and I was finally starting to get comfortable with the boys and the fact that I hopefully be with them for a long time. I still had yet to get a job, so I spent all my free time working on the painting Jason had asked me to make his mother. The boys came and went, doing work in and out of the house, checking my progress whenever they passed, giving me compliments and words of encouragement. Now it was ready for her to receive.

"After my business trip," he stated simply, grabbing the bowl of almonds I'd set out for myself and tossing some in his mouth.

"When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow morning." I stopped, turning to look and see if he was joking.

"Are you deadass," I confirmed, watching him casually eat my almonds.

"Yeah. Monday through Wednesday, back on Thursday."

"And when did you plan on telling me this," I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. I wasn't mad Jason was going on business, he was just doing his job. But the fact that he knew he was leaving and hadn't told me until the day before really got to me.

"I told you you should've told her, dumbass," Khalil mumbled. Za laughed under his breath.

"Shut up," he rolled his eyes at the boys, "I was going to tell you tonight some time," he assured.

"The night before you leave? Don't you think I'd like a heads up," I exclaimed. He sighed, setting the bowl of almonds back down.

"Hey, come here," he spoke softly. I stayed planted where I was, so he walked to me. "I'm sorry, alright? I'm not used to consulting with people before I do things," he explained, attempting to hug me. I place my hand on his chest and pushed him back.

"It's not 'consulting', it's just telling me you're leaving so I don't wake up to you missing for three days," I huffed.

"This is really making you mad, huh?" He asked, leaning against and going back to eating almonds.

"Yes! It is. You waited until less than 24 hours before leaving to tell me you'd be gone for days. What if I did that to you?"

"I wouldn't enjoy that much at all," he mumbled.

"Exactly. Treat me how you want me to treat you," I said. He kept his gaze on his shoes for a second, then flashed me some serious puppy eyes. I caved and walked over, finally letting him hug me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," he said softly. I simply nodded knowingly. I knew Jason meant his apology but apologies were losing their meaning to me as of late. He pulled my head out of his chest and looked into my eyes as if he was searching for something. I looked back blankly. "How can I make it up to you?"

I fixed my mouth to say "Nothing, I'm not angry!", which was true, but I decided to milk it.

"Bring me with you."

"What?" Jason's brows furrowed as he looked in my face for any sign of humor but I was very serious. These three boys were my only friends until Molly got home from Puerto Rico, and the last thing I wanted to do for the next three days was lay in bed lonely. So, I began pouting and giving my best puppy eyes. "I can't do that, babe, it's not safe."

I sighed dramatically, stepping back and walking to the couch, slouching into it. "I guess I'll just sit right here, in this very spot, all alone, watching whatever plays on this channel, alone, until you return," I spoke, laying on the couch fully. Jason rolled his eyes. 

"Fine, Viv. You can come. But you're going to have to follow some strict rules," I said sternly, sitting next to me on the sofa. I sat up quickly, sliding over to sit on his lap. He wrapped his arms around my waist, I gave me a stern look. "Don't distract me," he murmured, "and pay attention. While we're there don't leave my side unless you're with Za or Khalil. There some very dangerous people there and the last thing I need is you missing." He muttered the last part to himself. 

"That's it?"

"No. Don't talk to anyone unless I'm there and say you can. Don't introduce yourself to anyone, I'll do it if I see fit." He stopped and looked at me. 

"Is that it?" I asked. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. I knew he was telling me these things to keep me safe, but being told a set a rules before you go somewhere makes you feel a lot like a child. 

"Yes, Viv, that's it," he said as I climbed out of his lap. "Hey," he grabbed my arm, "I know you don't like being told what to do, but this is for your own good, I promise." I relaxed a bit, flashing him a reassuring smile before heading to the room to pack. He was only a few minuets behind me and soon had his suitcase laid open next to mine. 

I watched as he tossed a neatly folded dress shirt into his case, followed by slacks. "What should I wear," I asked, realizing I was mindlessly packing at this point. 

"Well, the first day we'll just be checking in and getting into our room, so I guess what you wear then doesn't really matter. The second and beginning of third we'll be in busines meetings so you'll need something  official. Then you'll need a dress for the ball on the third night. Plus pyjamas and shit like that," he listed casually, continuing to pack his bag. 

After two hours and a half of getting Jason's opinions of outfits, and packing them away I was finished and sleepy. I cooked the boys a simple spaghetti dinner and by 11, I was ready for bed. I headed in early, and Jason followed, climbing in about a half an hour after me. We sat quietly for a while, mindlessly watching Bob's Burgers. He spoke first.

"I really am sorry I didn't tell you about the trip. I should have, and I'm sorry." I nodded again. I wanted to be with Jason, but it felt like every time he was learning and getting better, he would do something dumb and make me mad. He seemed genuine every time he apologized, but some of the things he did were just common sense. Empathy could stop half of our arguments. 

"What are you thinking about," he murmured, turning on his side to face me. I shook my head and muttered a soft 'nothing'.

"I can see your mind is wandering," he pressed. "I mean it. I really am sorry," he continued. 

"I know," I assured, rolling over to sleep. I heard him sigh, then felt the bed shuffle, before he snaked his hand around my waist and pulled me into him. I adjusted against him and got comfortable. We whispered our goodnights and drifted off.

-

good thing i have an 8% out of 100 in one of my classes lmao i hate school