The Mikaelson Ball

The next morning, at the Gilbert Residence Elena, Stefan, and Damon are in the kitchen. Elena is putting away the cleaning appliances. Damon sitting on the dining table playing with a small ball while Stefan is leaning against one of the kitchen counters.

"It was their mother Esther who was sealed in that coffin" Elena said. "As in the Original Witch?" Stefan asked. "What? How is she even alive? Thought her hybrid freak show of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago" Damon said. "I don't know. I'm guessing she has a couple connections in the witching community. Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family, including Klaus" Elena said. "She was supposed to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus" Damon said. "Well, not anymore...at least not according to Elijah" Elena said. "That coffin was the only thing stopping Klaus from tearing us to shreds" Stefan said. "Anyone else feeling a little used right now?" Damon said. "Look, Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us" Elena said as the doorbell rings. Stefan and Damon I OK in the direction of the door. "Well Victoria texted me saying the same last night. But I couldn't understand it" Stefan said. "Well now you do" Damon said sarcastically.

"I believe Elijah" Elena said as she goes to open the door. "I trust Victoria" Stefan said. Damon rolls his eyes as Elena opens the door. No one is there, but on the doormat is an envelope with an ornately-handwritten "Elena Gilbert" on the front. She picks it up, closes the door, and turns around. Damon and Stefan are in the lobby near her.
"What is it?" Damon asked curiously.

Elena opens the envelope and removes a card. "It's an invitation. "Please join the Mikaelson Family, this evening at seven o'clock. For dancing, cocktails and celebration" Elena said. "Who the hell are the Mikaelsons?" Damon asked. "The Original Family. Didn't Victoria say that" Elena said obvious and Stefan nodded. "It's not bad enough they're moving into town, now they want a housewarming gift?" Damon said sarcastically.

She turns the card over and sees there's writing on the back.

"Wait, there's a note on the back. "Elena, I think it's time that we finally meet, Esther." Elena read out.

At Klaus' Mansion, music is playing. Rebekah is having her nails polished by an assistant. Victoria is having her hair done while Kol is standing before a full-length mirror wearing a black evening suit while a tailor adjusts it. Finn and Elijah are also standing in the room preparing for the ball.

"Rebekah? Tell me how handsome I am." Kol said with a smug look. "Ah Kol, you know I can't be compelled" Rebekah said. Victoria turned around to face Kol. "You look dashing" she said as she turned back around. "Sometimes" Victoria added. Finn grins. The door opens and Klaus walks in and up to Rebekah.

"You went after Elena? What is wrong with you?!" Klaus asked angrily. "Here we go" Rebekah said just as Victoria "You did what. Rebekah!" She yelled. "Do you want another dagger in your heart?" Klaus threatened. "Again with the dagger threats? Don't you have any other tricks?" Kol said. "Oh, go back to staring at yourself" Klaus said. "And who are you, my father?" Kol asked. "No, Kol, but you're in my house" Klaus answered sternly. "Then perhaps we should go outside" Kol said as he and Klaus stare at each other. Esther walks in. Victoria tenses up. "Enough! Niklaus. Come" she said.

Klaus goes into another room with his mother. "Rebekah wasn't even out of her box a day before she tried to ruin my life. What happened to peace, acceptance, family?" Klaus questioned. "You put daggers in their hearts. You want them to go down on their knees and kiss your feet for reuniting them?" Esther asked. "So it's a crime to want our family to be as we were" Klaus asked. "You need to give it time, Niklaus. I've had a thousand years on the other side to be angry and to heal. I'm here to make sure this family does the same" Esther said calmly. "I just don't understand. I killed you, and still you forgive me" Klaus said. "It's been my dream for a thousand years that this family could be as one. Forgiveness is not a chore. It's a gift. Now, who are you bringing to the ball this evening?" Esther asked as Klaus sighed. "Don't be ridiculous. You're lucky I'm even going" Klaus said. "Well, I wish you would reconsider. It is going to be a magical evening" Esther said.