Chapter 8

hope you like it... it's a little short <3 enjoy!

_____________________________________________________________________________

JAI’S POV

Luke, James and Daniel were already sitting on the oval so I walked over and joined them. ‘Hey guys,’ a smiled. ‘Hey Jai,’ they greeted me in sync.

‘So I’m dying to hear about this girl!’ James exclaimed.

‘Yeah tell us about Jess,’ Daniel looked at me eagerly.

I looked at Luke; he shared the same shocked expression as me. ‘How do you know about Jess?’ Luke enquired.

‘The photo of you two on Facebook!’ James and Daniel replied.

Oh my god I thought to myself, has she seen this? Luke whipped out his phone, he went straight to my timeline, I had been tagged in a photo, it was nice picture of Jess and I walking hand in hand back to our house. These thoughts were interrupted by the realisation that someone had tagged Jess in the picture too. Luke scrolled down and we saw the comments, there were hundreds of them. ‘Slut’, ‘whore’, ‘bitch’ and ‘ugly’ were written numerous times, but there was one near the top that caught my eye, ‘go die, you ugly slut’ and the worst part was that it had over 100 likes. I looked at Luke and we knew we needed to leave. ‘We need to go, sorry guys,’ Luke exclaimed as we stood up.

‘What do you mean?’ James called.

‘We need to be somewhere!’ I called back. Luke and I walked to the school gate, and then we ran. Luke was in front; he grabbed his key out and fumbled at the door. ‘JESS!’ I screamed hoping we were soon enough. ‘JESS!’ Luke yelled, a concerned look covered his face. I could hear the shower running. I ran into the bathroom, she was sitting on the shower floor, shivering like crazy. She was wearing the clothes I had given her for the day, her mascara was streaming down her face at the same rate as tears. She looked up at me and said, ‘I promised’. Luke barged in taking action straight away; he always knew what to do, whereas I just stood there shocked, stunned. He turned off the shower and pulled Jess out. ‘Go get a towel Jai!’ He yelled, with that I ran to the cupboard. I handed over the towel and then left the bathroom and grabbed Jess a blanket and some warm clothing.

LUKE’S POV

I barged into the bathroom and I pushed past Jai. He was terrified, he just starred at her. He didn’t mean it, he was just scared. I think that it was harder for him so see Jess like that; he cares really deeply for her. I care a lot for Jess, but they share something special. After Jai handed me the towel I undressed Jess, so she was just in her underwear. It was the first time I’d gotten to see all of the scars.  I wrapped her in the towel and I pulled her close, she was ice cold, absolutely freezing. Jai came back in with dry clothes; we left Jess to get changed. I walked out to the living room, Jai had gone and grabbed a doona and chucked it on the couch. I sat down on the couch and Jai went to grab Jess, he led her over to the couch, we all sat under the doona in silence. Jess rested her head on Jai’s chest and she closed her eyes. This would give Jai and I a chance to chat.

‘Are you alright?’ I knew this would have stressed him out to the max.

‘Yeah, but I choked. I saw her there and I just…’ He was disappointed at himself; he wanted to be the one to save her.

‘I know that it scarred you. I can tell you really care for you, its okay. You’ll get better at it.’ Jai looked down at Jess she was definitely asleep, he looked at her peaceful face and a small grin formed on his face. ‘She didn’t do it,’ the grin turned into a smile, ‘she promised me and she didn’t do it.’ We both sighed and sat in silence for a little.

‘What are we going to tell the school?’ I heard myself ask.

‘Family emergency,’ Jai replied.

‘In west Philadelphia I was born and raised,’ A phone buzzed I looked around confused.

‘It’s Jess’s,’ Jai remarked with a grin. I leapt up and answered the phone

‘Hello is Jess there.’ A man asked over the phone, I had to listen hard he had a thick accent.

‘Sorry she’s unavailable at the moment, can I ask who this is?’

‘It’s her coach, Nedal. I was just worried; she didn’t return my call yesterday. She wasn’t at training last night.’

‘Oh okay, I’ll pass the message on. Thank you’ and with that I hung up the phone

‘Who was that?’ Jai asked me

‘Her coach Nedal, he was worried because she didn’t show up to training yesterday’

‘Training for what?’ Jai asked, he was just as confused as I am.

‘He didn’t say, but there’s something she’s not telling us.’ Jai and I nodded, we both wanted to know, we wanted to help her.

I walked into the kitchen and started cooking, ‘You read my mind,’ Jai exclaimed as I open the fridge.