26: Behind the Full Moon

"Icen, position?" I tried to be calm even though I could feel a storm churning in my gut. The idea of our Diosa being in danger and having not a single one of us— her brothers— by her side is terrifying.

"Team One and Four are out. Snipers took them down. A7 is inside the house with her friends. The enemy scrambler has been neutralized. Agent Yelle is with Agent Rin. They are going to get her out of the house, Jaguar."

"Shit, make sure she's okay." I have my doubts about the rookie, but with Yelle in there I have more assurance that they'll be able to get out.

I could feel Prince tense against me. "Si Aya?" I could hear the fear in his voice. "Kuya Ali anong nangyayari?"

"We got rid of the scrambler sir. Agent Reaper and I have complete visuals."

"Fuckin' asshole." I could feel Constantino slowing down. "Don't lose focus on our subject. Trust Aya, okay?"

"May nangyari ba kay Aya?"

His nervous energy seems to be feeding off mine. I literally shook myself to get rid of the negative vibe. His next glance told me he just reached a breaking point and before I could stop him, he'd reversed and met Hernandez head-on.

"Fuck!"

I braced myself for the impact.

***

I rolled on my shoulder and came to my feet as soon as I hit the ground. The motorcycles made a crunching sound of metal against metal. Dust tickled my nose as it rose from the ground. Shafts of light from the unfinished beams fell on the wreckage on the floor.

"Putangina mo!" The crunching sound of bone hitting bone filled the air. Constantino did not waste any time before he started to pummel Alex to the ground. Blood sprayed in an arc as his fist broke Hernadez' nose.

"LEX!" I saw Melanie with a gun. I got to my feet and watched warily as she pleaded Prince to let go of her brother. Before I could lunge at her, the gun fell down and went off. Prince fell down while Alex used the distraction to roll to his feet and reach for the gun.

I had no time to lose. I fired my last bullet and the gun fell to the ground. I could see disbelief cross Alex' eyes.

"Alistair you could have killed me with the last bullet. Anong palabas ito?" He let out a mocking laugh. To me it sounded hollow and strained.

He knows he made the biggest mistake of his life. I can see it in his eyes no matter how much he wants to fake it.

"Yes, but what good would it do if you die without facing a trial? I'd love to see you suffer for a long time."

"Try. Hanggang ngayon asshole ka pa rin talaga," he muttered. He straightened himself and spat blood on the floor. His bloody grin almost made him look sinister. Almost.

"Enough talk." I smirked. I've often imagined how it would feel like to take him down. The whole time we were in the academy, he'd taken the sweet time to torture the junior officers.

Payback is a bitch.

"Kuya Ali," Prince said in warning. I spared him a glance. I danced on the balls of my feet. The scent of a fight made my blood boil.

"We have a personal score to settle," I replied as I connected a solid jab to his face. He staggered back a step and spat more blood on the floor. Our eyes locked on each other—measuring, waiting, looking for that tell. I know all his tricks just as he knows mine. Probability is the name of this game.