32: Real

"Hey, you guys coming?" Iniangat ni Kuya Andro ang hawak na camera habang naghihintay sa aming sagot.

"Maybe next time. You guys have fun." Nakita kong sumimangot si Yelle at padabog na bumaba sa hagdan. Problema nun?

Tiningnan muna ako ni Kuya Andro bago tumango at sumunod kay Yellow.

"Akala ko gusto mong mag-cliff-diving kanina?" Maria asked.

"Not without you." I patted her head. "Besides, I figured we'll benefit more if we spend more time with each other."

Ngumuso siya. "Sino ka? Anong ginawa mo kay Ali?" Nakakunot-noong tanong niya sa akin.

"What? Why?"

"Just... before you were either too sarcastic or not talking at all," nakanguso niyang komento.

"So you prefer me being sarcastic?" What? Bakit ang gulo ng mga babae? Sabi communication is the key daw, pero pag kakausapin na ang daming pasikot-sikot?

Napabuntong-hininga siya. "Hindi naman. I guess I want to know the real you."

"Bakit, ano ba sa palagay mo ang tunay na ako?"

She looked to the side, as if thinking. "Hindi ko alam. Madalas tahimik tapos biglang magsasabi ng mga profound. Bossy din. Tapos ano..."

"Ano?"

She stole a glance at me.

"Weird."

"Okay. I haven't been called a weirdo since college."

"But it's not a bad weird." She looked away and her fingers played with the fringe of a pillow. "You're geeky in a sexy, obnoxious way."

"Sexy, huh?" She yelped when I pulled her to my lap. The red on her cheeks spread all the way to her collarbones. I love that color on her alabaster skin. Makes me want to kiss her more.

"Ang landi mo po pala," she said while biting her lips.

"What landi?" She snorted and laughed.

"Conyo pa more." She covered my face with her hand and shrieked when I bit her pinky. "Ali!"

"Seriously, what do you want to do? Hmmm?" I tried to catch her eyes, but she kept on moving her face away

"I don't know. Explore the island?"

"Explore, huh?" Explore me, exploring you?

She looked at me with suspicion, "Somehow, I don't think you have anything good in mind."

"What? Bakit mo naman nasabi 'yan?" I feigned a laugh as she guessed my thoughts.

"Ewan ko. Yung tingin mo kasi," she said with suspicion in her eyes.

"Anong tingin?"

"Yung parang di ka gagawa ng mabuti."

"Oh, I'm hurt."

"Shut up. Arte neto."

"Tara, hike na lang tayo sa may ilog," yaya ko sa kaniya. I saw her eyes sparkle.

***

"Sabi mo maghi-hike lang tayo sa may ilog?" she pulled at my arm.

"Every river ends with either the sea or a waterfall," I shouted my reply. "Halika na." I held her hand as she looked apprehensively at the strong current before she stepped on the rock where I am standing on. The roar of the waterfall is strong around us and the mist had us soaked to the skin.