19: Reckless

"Come in."

The door opened a fragment before a heart-shaped face framed with dirty blonde hair peeked inside. She had an uncertain smile on her lips. I motioned for her to sit across the chair from my table. On my right, Rika sat on a stool sipping her latte. Clauson monitored the HQ's mainframe remotely through her tablet. Luna waited on stand by.

Riyelle Stein placed two suitcases on top of the table.

It's so hard to imagine that such a dangerous weapon could be contained in two suitcases. I gestured for Stein and Luna to open the cases.

Rika let out a low whistle. "Good luck figuring that one out." I inspected the material resting on a glass case. It looked like a tiny universe of sparkling particles suspended in space.

"How do you think that will work?" Clauson came closer that her nose almost touched the case. Almost as if it was sentient, the particles crowded close to where she made contact. "Whoa!" Halos napatalon si Icen palayo.

"The fruit of the marriage between Biology and nanotechnology. Now all we need to figure out is how to control it and use it the way it was intended in the first place."

"Boss don't you think HQ needs to know about this?" Stein looked up at me.

"Not yet." I took a deep breath. "I need to flush out the moles first."

"Who's gonna work on the Myght?" Clauson looked around.

"Well Luna, I need you to pick up someone." I handed the file to Luna. I saw her eyes widen when she read their contents. "It's time we acquired a new talent."

"H-he's your..."

"Yes he is."

"I mean, he's underaged too!" She looked like she wanted to argue.

"Doesn't matter. He's talented and I want him." I steepled my fingers in front of me. "He broke into our defences a couple of weeks ago. So far he's had three other attempts. It's either you take him in, or you eliminate him." I gave her a pointed look. "Your choice Luna."

"I can't even imagine how I'd convince him," she spluttered and waved her arms around.

"Well you better brush up on your persuasion skills then."

***

I let out my breath when Luna and Stein stepped out and locked the door behind them. Sanada and Clauson took the seats in front of my table.

"We're safe for the meantime." Sanada toyed with her holster. "I heard that... you made contact with Tiu's fiancée?"

"That is none of your business Sanada," I replied cooly. The subject of Maria is not their concern.

"Are you letting your emotions cloud your judgement?"

"Sanada, what makes you think I don't have a plan?" Her scowl transformed into a smirk.

"You are seriously not doing this. I know you." She placed several photos on top of my desk. The first one is me and Maria kissing on Kuroneko's hood. "Have you finally met your match? The great Jaguar." She spread out her hands and laughed loudly. Nakita kong pumula ang mga pisngi ni Icen na bigla naman niyang itinago sa likod ng kaniyang tablet.

"Clauson!"

"Po?" She was visibly shaking and refused to show her face.

"Didn't I tell you to turn off the surveillance on my tracker?"

"B-but Jaguar, I can't completely close the surveillance network!" She squeaked. "A-and you were so cute..." she added in a small voice.

"Cute?"