8: The Hunter

"Care to explain what we're doing here, again?" I couldn't suppress the frown on my face as we stood behind the one-way mirror watching the recruits do their drills.

"We're scouting for your team," Rika gave her exhausted reply. Bilib din ako sa tiyaga niya. Sa lahat ng naging partner ko, siya ang may pinakamahabang pisi at parating nasa likod ko even if she thinks that what I do is foolish or dangerous... or most of the time, both.

"Why do I even need a team?" I caught her rolling her eyes at the corner of my eye. "Okay, let me rephrase that: What makes you think I want a team?"

"Because you are going to open a new branch in Southeast Asia and you are gonna be the head of it."

"Then, why not just you and me?" I nonchalantly asked and I saw her throw me a quick glance before she swallowed hard. I swear I could see her blushing.

Damn. Don't fall for me Sanada. Of all the people here, I consider you a friend.

"You need people who'd work in the lab, communication systems, field... I know you can do all those things but not by yourself. Don't argue, Ali. The board gave their orders already."

"Well, I'll be damned." I turned my eyes back to the recruits doing their round-robin exams. Five levels ang test: physical, combat, psychological, mental, at personality. Maraming bumabagsak at nawawalan ng pangarap sa unang level pa lang. Hindi lang basta brains at brawn ang kailangan, dapat may adapatability at mataas na learning curve; yung kayang mag-isip habang may naka-strap na C4 bomb at nakikipaglaban with one hand.

At higit sa lahat, may loyalty.

That's one of the things na fundamental sa pagiging agent. You can teach a dog many tricks, but loyalty must be an innate thing. Napaka-peligroso ng buhay ng isang agent at isang pagkakamali nila sa pagpili kung sino ang pagkakatiwalaan ay maaring makapagpabagsak ng buong network ng Intelligence. The most important thing that makes this system work is secrecy. A lot of the things I've learned are those I'm sworn to keep to my grave.

My eyes caught an unlikely pair across the room. They have a pair of HK416 assault rifles in front of them at sa utos ng instructor ay nagsimula silang baklasin ang bawat parte nito. Both girls held no expressions as they methodically separated each piece in complete synchronicity in 14 seconds. Isa-isa rin nilang ni-recite ang mga parte nito habang binubuo. The red-head on the left faltered on the last part and closed her eyes before she got the correct answer. Hmmm... interesting.

The next part of their test was a clincher. They got all the moving targets in less than a minute na halos bored pa sila nang matapos.

"I think I want those two," I whispered to Rika. Napatingin siya kung sino ang itinuro ko bago chi-neck ang files na hawak niya.

"Riyelle and Rejean Stein." She nodded. "Aced the ballistics exam, not bad on the mental and physical test, however..." I raised a brow at her. "History of alcoholism, anti-social behaviour, and depression."

"Both of them?"

"The blonde one, Riyelle. Rejean is a little more withdrawn, plus she doesn't drink."

"Rough childhood?"

"Orphaned. Their brother Blue was taking care of them until he was murdered in a gang war. Got sent to foster homes for the majority of their life. At 13, Riyelle was a gun runner and a drug dealer. There are reports of domestic abuse from two of their former foster parents." I took all this information in. Broken and battered, eh?

"How did they get here?"

"Pulled them out of the system. They have... special talents." Sanada's lips curved into a sardonic smile. "It was either they join or they spend the rest of their lives in jail. I think they took the better choice."