chapter 12 - cheesy note

claudia// cheesy note  

"Mother, can I please?" I beg her, with all the hope I had left, within me.

Lulu and I have always wanted a puppy. My mother absolutely hates dog, and just animals in general.

"I promise, I'll buy the food, clean the mess it makes, train it. I'll do it all. Just pretty please?"

She places her mug, full of coffee - on the night stand beside her.

"You know I hate dogs." She complains, putting the volume up on her telenovela.

"No you don't. Abuela told me you had one when you were younger." - abuela : grandma

"She lied."

I narrow my eyes at her.

"You are so lying. Abuela showed me a picture." I state, sitting on the coffee table - blocking the view she had of her show.

She groans under her breath, pressing the button pause on the remote control.

"You can't even clean your own ass, what makes you think you can care for a dog?" I scrunch my nose, my brows inward.

"I can too, clean my butt."

She raises her thick brows and continues with her telenovela. I sat there for awhile, until I gave up - only because I was hungry.

I dug into some cookies, savoring the chocolate taste in my mouth. I try to not eat sugary foods. Well, ever since I lost all the weight - I have tried to limit the amount of sugar I consume in my daily life. But sometimes, I give in and fall hard.

Then afterwards, I feel so guilty.

"I heard you got detention."  A sneaky voice whispers, into my ear. I swat my brother away, putting up the jar of cookies.

"I didn't." I say, closing the pantry door behind me. I tried to keep a straight face, but I was an open book. He hums, placing a finger onto his chin.

"I have some suspicion. Firstly, you came out awfully late, most people were already gone by the time you came out. Secondly, you had the face. You didn't look at me, didn't speak to me the whole ride home, plus you kept messing with your fingers, and fiddling with your skirt. All of those signs, hinting to, nervousness, anxiousness, ect. You are a open book, Claudia."

He finishes, with a smug look on his face. He leans back against the wall, fixing his hoodie - waiting for an excuse.

I parted my lips, digging my nails into my thigh. He had left me speechless, everything he said was absolutely right. But I wasn't just anxious about having to confront him, but of what happened - with him.

"Also, someone told me they saw you in detention. They also saw you leave hurriedly, out of school - skipping your detention? I suppose, of course."

Only people in that room were myself, Mr. West, Cameron and that kid named, Angelo. I don't think Mr. West would do that. He seemed like he didn't care if I was there or not. I also don't think Cameron would rat me out. Angelo? He doesn't even know me.