{Ch 1}

Ch 1: The Ball~~~~~

Ch 1: The Ball
~~~~~

I awoke to my long, dark hair sprawled across my face and trailed into my mouth. I wasn't exactly a peaceful sleeper and this was a definite example. I pulled the long strands out of my mouth and rubbed my sleepy eyes.

"Morning sleepyhead!" Jillian said, entering my room with her classic maid outfit and dusting wand.

I told my father that it was a bit unprofessional and rude to make Jillian, our maid, wear such a stereotypical outfit. He won by simply saying, "It's not your house, it's mine. That's professional attire according to all of our friends and family so that's how it will stay."

I come from a pretty rich family, but I hate to flaunt it. My sister, Felicity, shows off our money loud and proud. I believe that it's ungrateful and just plain mean to all the people who are poor and can't afford half the things we purchase. I try to help people out the best I can, and it brings a smile to my face when the poor thank me.

Even though I'm quite nice, I don't always get the treatment I deserve for it from my family. My stepfather isn't fond of giving away our well-earned money to "those lazy, slacking nobodies on the street." When I counter back, I get a kick to the gut and a punch in the jaw. I don't ever wear makeup so it's hard to cover the bruises on my face. I'm lucky I can cover up the ones made to my body. There's a lot more than kicks that hurt me.

"Hey Jillian." I finally respond.

She sits on my bed and smiles, "Your father is finally letting me attend one of his balls. It's tonight, by the way."

I groaned and landed in my pillow. My father throws a party or "a ball" every two weeks on a Saturday. He invites all the posh and glamorous people, so Jillian was never invited. Even though she's technically a part of our family.

It doesn't help that she's my only friend, so I sit alone at these parties. I never leave the house because even though he's strict, I'm my stepfather's princess. Felicity is the one with the traits he wants me to exhibit, but he tells me there's something special about me and that our fights will end up doing some good.

"That's great." I said, to not confuse her about the groan. "I just hate his stupid parties."

She rolled her eyes, "Its all about showing off the money, hun. Just sit through it for one evening. I'm bringing an old family friend tonight too. I'd love for you two to meet."

I nodded, "That'd be fantastic. I'd love to meet someone new."

We sat in a comfortable silence as Jillian started dusting my bedroom. As much as we socialize, she needs to do her work or she'll get fired. I can't be the cause of that. My sister broke the quiet by barging in with 3 different dresses.