"Oh, Colton I'm sorry. I forgot about what today was."

He sent me a small smile, "It's alright Alex, it's nice to have someone with me on these monthly visits."

If you're confused, let me clear things up. Every 22nd of each month, Colton would buy a bouquet of randomly arranged flowers, and head to the hospital, where his dad was currently in. His father had been in a coma for about two years now, and Colton would visit him every month. The car crash was fatal, and Colton took it upon himself to be there for his dad as long as he was still physically here.

"Are you positive that it's okay that I tag along with you? I wouldn't want to intrude," I said, feeling slightly guilty that I was interrupting his time with his dad.

He brushed it off, "Alex, it's fine. Besides, my dad treated you as if you were his own daughter, I don't think he'd mind either."

Satisfied with his answer, we hopped into his car and began the drive towards the hospital. The drive from our neighborhood to the hospital was quite long, about 20-25 minutes.

"So how is he holding up?" I asked, looking over at him in the drivers seat.

He ran a hand through his hair, whilst rolling his lips inwardly, "Well, last time I called in, they said he was hanging in there, still unconscious, but you know things could be worse."

"I admire you for being so strong about this." I stated.

He grinned, "I'm surprised that my mother is still sane. Two years, it feels just like yesterday that the accident happened."

His eyes seemed to water at the mention of the incident. From all the years I've known Colton, he has always been extremely close to his father. Unlike me, I've never had that close bond with a parent before, so I wouldn't know how it feels to lose one.

"So," Colton began, "what was that whole thing with Miles about during lunch time? After you practically saved his ass, you two just ran off. Why would you even give that jerk the time of day?"

I couldn't help but feel bad for Colton. He probably had no idea about Miles' past with Lillian, yet I'm pretty sure he likes her, more than a friend.

Should I tell him?

Nah, it wasn't my place to reveal such a big secret like that. My own best friend was oblivious to the fact that I knew about her past childhood love. Although, I do feel extremely guilty for keeping this secret from them. But if he ever found out that I was hiding this from him, he'd hate me forever.

"I just wanted to clarify a few things about the night of the party, nothing serious." I replied, simply brushing it off.

He seemed to believe me, and just nodded his head. In just a few short minutes, we parked in the lot of the hospital.

As the engine stopped, I noticed Colton tense up. I placed a hand on his shoulder, trying to relax him, "You can do this, it's just another visit."

He nodded, sending me a tight-lipped smile, "I really appreciate you being here Alex."

I comforted him for a while until he was ready to head inside.

Hospitals made me feel uncomfortable. Just knowing that probably in every single room, someone could have died in there. It's a terribly morbid thought, but that was just the feel places like these gave me. 

Colton must've memorized the way to his father's room, since he didn't bother to stop by the front desk.

"Afternoon, Colton," The friendly looking, middle-aged woman greeted him.