Chapter 5 An Impossible Mission

"Kanou-kun," Yukimura said as the two of them were walking to school. It was good luck that they had ran into each other on their way. Because Yukimura had something that he needed to tell Kanou.

"What is it Yukimura-san?" Kanou asked.

"Well...," Yukimura said, "It's about my job."

"As the Vice President of the student council?" Kanou asked, even though he knew Yukimura didn't mean that.

"No," Yukimura answered. "It's about my job as a shinigami. I've been meaning to tell you something about it for a while now."

"What is it?" Kanou asked.

"W-well, they might make me stay in the realm of the shinigami." Yukimura said.

"What?!!?!" Kanou exclaimed.

"It all depends," Yukimura said, "On whether or not you tell anyone that I'm a shinigami. You see, when I told the head shinigami that you knew, she threatened to transfer me to their world and only let me leave for work. But then she said that she won't do that unless you keep it a secret. She actually thought about just wiping your memory of me. But I asked her not to. So can you please just keep my job between us?"

"I wasn't planning on telling anyone in the first place. Since you never bothered to tell me, or anyone, I figured that it was supposed to be a secret." Kanou said simply.

"What?!" Yukimura said, "So I had nothing to worry about in the first place?" He seemed upset by this fact, it was odd because he should have been relieved. Well he was relieved, but sad because he had been worrying about it ever since yesterday when Akiko had told him, and it had all been for nothing.

"Oh look, we're at school." Kanou said.

* * * *

Today was the day of the long awaited field trip. All of the second years at Seika Academy were going to spend five days at a Buddhist temple. All of the boys were so excited. A group of 3 of them were going on at the back of the classroom about what they'd heard about the field trip from the upper classmen.

But Yukimura knew that it wasn't what everyone expected. Misaki had told him about Seika's old tradition that started years ago. "Trick the second years" It's when the third years who had been on the field trip the year previous told the second years that the field trip was fun when it was really terrible. And that it had happened to them the year before that and so on. No one knew exactly when it started.

Basically, the field trip was actually terrible. They took away everyone's cell phones and expected all of the students to live in the forest for a week. It was NOT supposed to be fun.

Yukimura was worried about the field trip because he needed his phone to get his assignments, and without it, he couldn't do his work. But his mother had insisted that he go. And lately there had been more deaths happening than usual. He had crossed over 5 ghosts in the past 2 weeks. He couldn't afford to ignore his duties. But he still managed to sneak his scythe and cloak into his bag.

Everyone boarded the buses, and the whole ride there, Yukimura worried about his job. Sure he didn't like having to deal with the dead, but he understood how important it was that he did his job. Without a shinigami in Tokyo, the ghosts would just wonder around and haunt the living. Yukimura was supposed to stop that from happening. Akiko would be furious with him.

Within an hour the bus stopes at the shrine and everyone exited it.

Usui started to drag Yukimura around by the back of his shirt. Yukimura tried to break free, but he's not very strong and failed at every attempt. All he could do was wave his arms around and scream for help.