Chapter 24 - Elastic Heart

Songs:

Elastic Heart: Sia

A.J.'s POV

Victor's words took over my mind as I wondered aimlessly around my abuelo's land, waiting for everyone to get ready to head to town. I had no desire to be a tour guide, but I had promised, Dylan that I would show him around, assuring him that it would be the best experience he'd ever had. We both agreed that was putting a lot of pressure on one small town, but at the time it had given me hope to escape all things Harry related. 

Now, Harry was all I wanted to focus on. I was selfish and wanted him. I needed him to hold me and feel protected by him. I was miserable and felt like only he had the remedy for my misery. He always seemed to have it. Like magic. That, too was a lot of pressure to put on one single human being. 

I wanted the space away from him. He deserved to be free of me. I needed to be free of him. I knew this. My brain had that hardwired for months now and in just a short few weeks, my heart was outsmarting my brain, finding ways around the logic.

No matter what I tried to do, I was reminded of what I once had with Harry. I missed the way he spoke my full name with his accent when I once hated it. I missed sharing a bed with his overheated body that suffocated me, but was much appreciated. I missed the way his long, bony finger laced around mine, his hand clasping mine tightly, as if he would never let me go... At this particular moment, I even missed the arguing. 

For one minute, I wanted to be selfish and not care what he wanted or needed. I needed him. 

The closer I got to the hacienda, the braver I grew and the less I felt like I needed him. I pushed every surging emotion I was feeling for him or anyone else as deep as I could. This trip wasn't about me or Harry, or even my needy sister. It was solely to celebrate my abuelo and that was exactly what I was going to do. 

I reached the steps of the back of the hacienda, pausing briefly to collect myself. I shut my eyes, inhaling and exhaling slowly, taking in all the scents. Once my mind was as clear as it was going to get, I forced the corners of my mouth up in a smile and took the steps two at a time. I entered through the kitchen, giving Rosita a kiss on the cheek as I thanked her for the wonderful breakfast, though I hadn't actually remembered what had even been served to us. 

She simply smiled and offered me a bowl of mixed fruit that she was preparing for later on. I wasn't hungry, but I didn't want her on my case the way Alicia usually was about eating. I thanked her and went on my way to see how long it was going to take for us to leave. I had half a mind to just take off on my own, but that defeated the purpose of the promise I had made Dylan. 

Just as I was easing myself into a good mood, it went out the window. Emilio sat in my grandparents family room with a group of cousins surrounding him as if he were God's gift to mankind. I rolled my eyes and sauntered my way over, casually shoving fork falls of fruit into my mouth. 

It took them about five minutes to realize they were no longer alone. 

"Buenos dias, Katarina," Emilio smiled my way. 

"Morning," I offered the worst fake smile I could come up with, though he wouldn't catch the hint. 

"Katarina," Maria Elena scolded as she entered the living space, arm in arm with Sarah. "Emilio has come to escort you to the fair. The least you can do is behave like your mother raised you and be semi polite."

"Sarah, didn't raise me," I muttered through another fork full of fruit. "I was raised by wolves," I giggled to myself, somehow finding humor in the situation. Here she was, seemingly praising her daughter for her parenting skills, when she herself had raised a daughter that had no issue selling her children to her benefit. Not that she was any better, but still. The irony was just too much for me to even pretend it wasn't funny.