Chapter 22 - Echoes of Love (Ecos de amor)

Songs:

Ecos de amor/Echoes of Love: Jesse y Joy

Hey Jude/Let It Be/I Wanna Hold Your Hand: The Beatles

Collide: James Bay

A.J.'s POV

The same, recognizable heat, hit us the second we stepped off the plane, the humidity crushing my chest. It was going to take some time for me to acclimate. I couldn't help the laugh that left me when Dylan stepped out, letting out an exaggerated sigh. It was always fun to watch when new people came out to this heat after complaining of California heat, which was paradise compared to this hell.

"Why is it so hot?" Dylan whined, dragging himself towards the SUV's that were waiting for us.

"Why so many cars?" I asked as I spotted my cousin, Alex headed my way.

He hugged me tight, kissing me cheek before moving to Odie. "Apparently, Max Sloan and abuelo got together and decided it was in everyone's best interest that you were more secure this time around." We both rolled our eyes, sharing the sentiment of the over the top protectiveness, while Pete seemed to be happy as a bird getting acquainted with the new team.

"Hm, well, you remember, Odette," I joked, "Harry and this is my friend, Dylan, Ellie, Pete's daughter and Pete," I pointed to each respectively, looking on as they greeted each other. "This is my cousin, Alejandro Rivera," I announced to those who weren't aware.

"Nice to meet you all," he smiled at the bunch. "Call me Alex." He informed them as he took Odie's carry on. "Let's get going. Um, the first car is security detail, second and third are for the passengers and the fourth, more security.

"I'm sure we all fit in one SUV, though?" I voiced my annoyance for the over the top actions being taken, which earned an annoyed look from Alex. He'd probably already had this chat with our grandfather. "Well, Odie is coming with me," I announced the obvious.

"I'm not going without, Harry," she quickly responded.

"Great, the four of us can-"

"Let me drive," I pleaded, hoping my cousin would take pity on me.

He nodded and tossed me the keys, against various voices advising against it. "You three can go together and I'll drive these three," he pointed to Pete, Ellie and Dylan.

I nodded happily, almost skipping to the driver's side. I turned on the car and the AC, letting the hot air ventilate out before allowing the doors to be shut. "We better not die," Odie called out from the back seat as Harry got in on the passengers side. He should have gone in the back with Odie, he was her guest.

Having him in the front seat, sober and lucid, made me nervous, but I was going to have to put all the behind me if I was going to be driving my sister.

"Seat belts," I announced, eagerly gripping the steering wheel.

"Don't kill us!" Odie called out one last time before we took off.

I ignored the happy pair the entire drive, nearly jumping in my seat when my grandfather's hacienda was in my sights. I wasn't particularly excited about having to deal with my family, but I knew there would be so many people that it would be easy to get away from Harry. And Odie, who was sure to be stuck like glue to him.

I followed the SUV in front of me, parking a few feet behind, practically bouncing out. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited to be here. I hadn't seen my grandpa in a long time and I was itching to get on a horse and just take off and get lost somewhere on the vast land.