Chapter 6 - The Monster (Rewrite)

Songs:

The Monster: Eminem ft. Rihanna

Where Are You Now: Skeillex and Diplo ft. Justin Bieber

A.J.'s POV

I tried to concentrate on the conversation that was going on without me, I was here for business after all, but my mind was elsewhere. With, Harry more specifically. As always, he was invading my thoughts. As if I hadn't just been gone for six months, it was like I had reverted back to the person I was right before I left. I tried to shake any thoughts of him away, but the more I tried, the more he became present.

For one, I couldn't help but think, how absolutely beautiful he was. Even though he looked different, and I couldn't pinpoint why that was, he was still just as handsome as when I'd left him in our bedroom. But, I also couldn't stop thinking of the deep contrast from the Harry I had just spoke to only an hour ago to the Harry that was at the engagement party. The man at the party was rough and hostile, much like the Harry I remember leaving. In comparison to the Harry I had just shared a few minutes with, who was charming and seemingly docile up to a certain point.

"Hey?" I felt someone shaking my arm. "You okay?" I turned around to see Michael's concern filled eyes on me, waiting for me to respond.

He's talking to you, my mind yelled at me. Answer him. I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding in, tears pricking the corners of my eyes and the lump in my throat, I wasn't aware of, rise up and become more prominent. He's waiting for an answer. My mind reminded me.

I fought against the tears and the lump in my throat to speak. "I'm fine," I assured him with the best smile I could offer, wondering why I was being this emotion, for no apparent reason.

"Really?" He smiled softly and let out a little chuckle. "Because you seem a little distracted."

I nodded and took a deep breath, "Yeah, I just had a long morning with the meeting and all that," I sorta lied. It was partly true, meetings for my grandfather's company usually drained me, so it wasn't a complete lie.

"Super sure?" He asked again, his smile getting wider.

I laughed and nodded, "Super, duper sure," I assured, again him with a larger, forced smile. "Where's Stephen?" I asked, both because I had just noticed he was missing and because I wanted to change the subject.

"He went to the bathroom, don't worry, he didn't even notice you weren't paying attention," he shrugged, probably noting the worry in my face.

"Was it that noticeable?" I started to panic a bit. "My being distracted, I mean," I clarified.

He shook his head and smiled, "Nah, he was too busy talking to notice and you nodded, smiled and what not at the appropriate times. Which you're frighteningly good at, might I add."

"I mastered that at a very young age," I bragged a little, though in reality, it was quite sad to have to admit that. Unlike with Harry, spilling out my secrets with him or anyone else made me feel over exposed and partially crazy. I wasn't as comfortable. It didn't feel natural.

"How was the engagement party, by the way?" He asked with some caution.

I shrugged and smiled, "I rather not talk about it around him," I pointed to Stephen who was making his way back to our table.

"Right," he mumbled.

Stephen sat back down, apologizing for leaving and continued speaking, probably where he had left off. I could see how people thought he was so charming. He smiled whenever he spoke. It wasn't just any smile. Like mine, it was forced and although it reached his eyes, it didn't hold any sentiment. It was as if he were a Mr. Potato Head that could easily remove and add the smile as he pleased. It was eerie if I actually thought about it. It made me wonder if people saw me the same way.