Chapter 2 - When We Were Young (Rewrite)

Song:

When We Were Young: Adele

A.J.'s POV

I listened to Sam go on and on about how stupid I was to leave without a formal goodbye, the entire time she spent applying my makeup then the entire time she forced me into a tight ass dress before she finally gave me a hug and went on about everything I had missed in the last six months that I had been gone. She tried to ask about what I had been up to, other than what I had said in the monthly emails I sent, but I managed to successfully steer the conversation back to her thriving business.

"You know, y'all always make me late," Chris announced himself, his bowtie still undone around his neck. "Ready yet?"

"Yes," I uncrossed my legs and stood up from my seat, knowing I wasn't ready at all.

"I missed this look," he smiled, taking in both of us. I missed his smile.

"Just a couple of dresses and face paint, nothing you haven't seen before," I smiled back, fighting the twitch in my lip.

"I meant, seeing my two best friends," he clarified, holding out both his arms for each of us.

Samara took his arm first, both of them looking at me with smiles and waiting eyes. I was with him. I missed this look, too. Seeing my two best friends, always there for me.

I followed Sam's lead, taking his arm, tangling one with his while I gripped with my other hand. He hadn't asked many questions, he accepted the stories I'd given him through my emails and accepted that I needed my space.

"How about you guys go ahead, I'll meet you there," I felt something pulling me back, holding me in place, not allowing me to keep moving forward.

"No chance, babe." Chris made sure he had a grip on me. "I'll be damned if you made all this progress to shut it all down now. It's an engagement party. Not just any engagement party, John's engagement party. That'd be like you missing Rob's engagement party. Or mine, would you do that?"

"Maybe," I teased, allowing myself to keep following, getting into the waiting car.

I took deep, steady breaths, settling into the back seat, trying to clear my mind. Focusing on what Chris said. This wasn't about me, this was about John and his happiness. It was only one night. I only had to plow through one night before I could head home. Or at least to Max's house until I figured out what I was going to do.

Going back to L.A. seemed like the best option. I wasn't able make London my home and I knew I wasn't welcome in New York. No matter how big either place was, both places would always feel suffocating. At least in L.A. I knew I had options.

My mind raced as we passed the brightly lit streets. I focused on the familiar landmarks, bringing back semi-happy memories. This wasn't going to be so bad after all, that's what I had to keep telling myself. No matter what happened, no matter who I saw, it was just one night and it was going to be okay.

"We're here, Kit," Chris announced, nudging me lightly.

I looked around, noticing that the car had come to a stop, Samara had already made her way up the steps, wrapping her arm around a waiting Niall. "I didn't even notice we'd stopped," I admitted, unintentionally sighing.

"If you start feeling, like, all A.J. type weird, call me. We'll ditch this place and go grab a pizza or something," he chuckled oddly, as if he didn't know how to speak to me anymore.

I only nodded, following him out of the car, allowing him to take the lead while I took my time, admiring the beautiful mansion-like home. I knew this wasn't Gemma's style, and Johnny was slowly starting to change his ways the more he spent time with her. She was changing him. In a good way. For once, he was being showed love. Actual love, not just an interest in his money.