24. Like a Dream

"Are you not coming home for the break? I hear from Stanton that you went to the old house last night and he gave you the keys."

Carter tried his best not to make too much noise as he left the bedroom, shutting the door behind him. Catherine had called her early that morning, apparently after hearing from the house security, Stanton, that Carter was at the old house. "Yeah, I was thinking about finding a job here while waiting for graduation," Carter explained, "I'll come home, probably next week or so, to visit."

"I see. You sounded tired. I'm sorry for waking you up this early. I only realized it's six o'clock after I pressed dial," Catherine chuckled.

Carter smiled softly, "Don't worry, I don't mind."

"And I was also excited because Stanton did mention you brought a girl home. Didn't you break up with Amber?"

Carter pursed his lips. Damn Stanton and his incapability to keep secrets if he wasn't told to. "Yeah, Amber and I broke up like two months ago."

"Huh," Catherine hummed. "You better bring that new girl home next time so I can introduce myself."

"Mom," Carter rolled his eyes. The woman had always wanted a daughter, so each time that Carter befriends a girl, she would be excited to get to know them. "I'll take her home if she wants to."

"She better want to, or else I'll visit her myself," Catherine chuckled. "Oh, and what about Mia? Did she tell you where she's going for the break?"

Carter glanced at the bedroom door and accidentally replayed Mia's moans inside his head. He shook his head and cleared his throat to reorganize his thoughts. "It's a long story."

"But did you made sure she's safe, at least? The last time I heard from you, you said she's tough to deal with. Did you manage to befriend her?"

Carter scratched his head. How should he break the news? He did more than friendly things with her. They were up all night doing the deeds until just a few hours ago.

"Carter? Hello?"

"I'm with Mia," Carter replied. "She's, uh... She's sleeping. Right now."

Catherine was quiet for a while, probably trying to connect the dots. "Oh, you mean... Mia is the new girl?"

"Yup."

"Carter..."

"It's not a fling or anything less than a proper relationship. I asked her out. She's-- she's doing better, if that's what you're worried about."

"Bring her home next time. I'm serious. I really want to meet Mia," Catherine told him, and she chuckled, "Why did you get scared? Do you think I would scold you for dating her?"

"I am all over the place right now," Carter cleared his throat. He was relieved that Catherine didn't seem against it. He didn't know why he got intimidated to announce the relationship at all. Well... Probably because he'd done more than just trying to fix Mia's life. He's en route to messing up her life by making her his girlfriend instead.

"I trust you and I believe you can make the best decision for yourself, honey. I don't care whoever you chose to date," Catherine pointed out, "As long as you don't lose yourself along the way."

Carter nodded, "Thanks, mom."

Catherine had expressed worried several times before, especially when it comes to approaching Mia. She was also worried that Carter would end up reliving history - the way he used to be lost like Damian Faye and had to go to rehab for it. She was afraid that Carter would relapse because Mia were friends with 'the bad kids'. She feared, as much as he does, that Carter would get influenced instead of influencing Mia to become better.