12. Last Year

"I have a rather... uh... personal question to ask."

"And that is...?"

"You're on sponsorship, right? Do you have to do anything in return? Like for example go on tournaments as their representative or something...? Maybe work for them once you graduate?"

"Oh," Mia cleared her throat. It's a big moment - Carter Wilde is showing interest on her private life. "It's actually like a lucky draw. I randomly joined the contest and won it. All I have to do is try not to fail."

"You never fail?" He frowned.

"I'm offended," Mia rolled her eye, "But no, I never fail. I'm barely surviving, though."

"Oh, that makes sense," Carter hummed, "But hey, that's also a great achievement."

"Ha ha," Mia mocked.

"No, I mean it. At least you're not failing," he chuckled. Soon, they entered the road to the dormitory and Carter pulled over to the side of the road to drop her off.

"Well, I had fun and thanks for dinner," Mia said as she unbuckled her seat belt. She lifted the book he gifted to her and smiled, "And for the gift."

"Wait," Carter reached to the back seat and pulled out two books, then he stacked them on top of the one she was holding, "It's a trilogy."

"Damn it," Mia dreaded reading more, but she couldn't help but to be curious of the sequels. "Can I keep these, too?"

"Sure," Carter shrugged, "But under one condition."

"Ugh, here we go again. Can't you be nice to me unconditionally?"

"No, I'm serious," Carter hummed, "Just promise me you will try your best to remain in college and graduate in time. No dropping out."

Mia gaped at him. She didn't know why such condition would matter in the long run, but she loved those books. "I promise."

Carter smirked, "Alright. Off you go."

"Thanks," Mia grinned. She gathered all her books and stepped out of the car. Mia walked into the dorm and looked at him again. Carter just nodded and drove off to his dorm.

Mia walked back to her room with a wide grin plastered on her face, which then started to disappear the second she noticed someone else was in their room. And it wasn't just anybody else, but her mother's friend, Grace Wallace. Grace used to work at the same mart as her mother, and although the woman is ten years younger, the two shared a special bond at work. At one point, people thought Grace is Mia's biological aunt.

"Grace," she gasped at the unexpected visitor. Mia looked over at Hazel, and the girl jus shrugged.

"Mia, gosh..." Grace checked her out and gasped softly, "You grew up beautifully."

"Thanks," Mia frowned, putting her books down on the desk. "But what are you doing here?"

"Oh, um..." Grace looked over her shoulder to glance at Hazel.

"I'll head out for a bit," Hazel excused herself. She smiled at Mia, and for some reason Mia had a feeling that Hazel knew what was going on. Grace probably told her something, because the smile she wore looked like sympathy - or pity, for that matter.

"Mia, why don't you take a seat? I need to talk to you about something."

"Right... What time did you get here? Were you waiting for me?"

Grace nodded, "I need to tell you something about your mom and dad."

"Please," Mia sighed, "If you're here to talk me into going home, I'm not coming with you."