17. Come Fetch Me

"It was supposed to be an all girl's party," Mia nudged Hazel's arm gently.

"I know," Hazel whispered right back. She would be in trouble if Aiden finds out that they have boys at the party. The boys crashed the party an hour after they started and suddenly it turned into a wild party.

"I just need some drink, that's all." Mia sighed to herself as she popped open her third bottle of beer.

Mia looked over and noticed that Hazel seemed to crave the freedom she would have, had she not been Aiden's girlfriend. She was never a heavy drinker but when it comes to enjoying a night out, Hazel used to let people flirt and shower her with attention. She was never too drunk to take care of herself, so Mia rarely have to worry about her when they're at parties. Oftentimes, Hazel would be the one to take care of Mia.

"You wanna join them?" Mia asked, grinning at the excitement in Hazel's eyes while she watched the group of people mingling by the pool. Half of those people will definitely hook up at the end of the party. Mia could tell; she used to be one of them. That was exactly how she met Peter.

"I do, but I don't want to get in trouble," Hazel groaned. "Should I just go and be free for the night?"

"I think Aiden would be mad, but he won't be mad for too long because we know you don't get drunk." Mia shrugged, "I don't know, Hazel. It's between you and him."

"I'm sure everything will be fine," Hazel hummed, "As long as I don't end up fucking one of those people."

Mia just replied with a shrug as she chug down her bottle of beer to the last drop.

"Ah, fuck it," Hazel popped open a bottle of beer, "I deserve some fun." She then head to the pool where the others were having fun. Mia was left alone to enjoy her drinks.

It's a shame that after a few weeks of being clean from alcohol, Mia decided to drink again. Carter would be disappointed if he finds out. Not that it matters. But still, drinking by herself was not half as bad as engaging in a wild party and waking up next to a stranger. Carter would understand how much she needed that drink.

Five bottles in and Mia started to think that maybe all she needed was a hug from Carter. Mia was at the verge of tears. If drunk her wanted the same thing as what she wanted as a sober person, what else would it mean? A hug from Carter might solve something. It's the universe's sign that she should lower her ego and cry in front of him again. He would understand. He always does.

Although he could be a pain in the ass sometimes.

On her sixth bottle and holding tight to the seventh and eighth, Mia finally mustered up enough courage to hit his number.

"I want a hug," she said as soon as he picked up the phone, "When I was away, you promised to give me a hug. Can I have it now?"

"Are you drunk?" She could tell that he was displeased and could almost see his frown at the back of her mind.

"My bad. I meant to say... that I need someone to talk to."

"Where are you?"

"At the party, with the girls. And some guys came crashing to the party... but trust me, my guy, I'm just here for the drinks," Mia muttered softly before sighing, "The night is so beautiful, Carter. Come out and fetch me."

"You're just calling me because you need someone to pick you up, is that what you're trying to say?" Carter asked, then he mumbled softly, "'My guy'? Are you fucking kidding me...?"

"I don't want to disappoint you," she whined, "I'm scared that if I stay around a bit longer, someone will flirt with me and I would hate waking up next to a stranger."

"Then take care of yourself. Don't let anyone do that to you," he replied dryly. "Listen, I've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow."

"You're not coming?"

"Stay put and make sure Hazel is there with you. She rarely gets drunk. Tell her to take care of you."

"Yeah, yeah... Sure," Mia scoffed as she downed her drink, "I'll see you around, then," She bid, ending the phone call before he said anything else. "Asshole. Dick. Prick. Jerk. Carter-fucking-Wilde. Fuck you."

She sighed after word-vomiting, then looked around for a comfortable spot to land on. Mia needed privacy. The music and the cheerful party just wasn't it. She looked to the backyard and noticed that there was a door heading to the woods behind the house. Mia looked around again, and she recognized the neighborhood. She's pretty sure there's a lake behind these houses. Before she left, she was stopped by someone tall who was standing behind her.

"Hey," he smiled, "You're a new face in here. Holly's friend?"

"I don't know any Holly," Mia shook her head, "But I'm with Hazel. Do you know Hazel?"

"Yes. Yes, of course, I just met Hazel. She's a fun person."

"Great," Mia hummed.

"Oh, I'm Jamie, by the way."

"I'm Mia."

.
..
...
..
.

"I knew this would happen," Carter sighed as he made his way to his car. He tossed his belongings to the passenger seat and started the car. Without waiting for the engines to warm up, he hit the road and head to the address Aiden got from Hazel.

He was ready to leave the entire time, just lying down and reading on his bed all dressed up just in case something happens. He flipped through several chapters without actually reading them, for he was distracted by the fact that Mia went to a party. He could tell she's after the booze, but he couldn't tell of she wanted something more than that. While he was restless about it, Carter realized he had no reason to worry so much about Mia. She could fuck anyone and it would have nothing to do with him.

... Unless he's been feeling something more than empathy for her.

That's when he realized he'd lived a full week not thinking or worrying about Amber. He hadn't called her back since the last time. He couldn't care less about Amber. On the flip side, Carter was haunted by Mia. Not in a terrifying kind of way, but in a rather intimate kind of way.

Figures, she started sharing the same interest with him. They can sit and talk about books for hours. She would let him read in peace as he would do the same when she's focused. All of a sudden, Mia became his very own 'mini me'. They started sharing glances when they spot some weird people in a crowd. Carter is not the type to share, but they'd once shared coffee with each other just to talk about their preferences.

Maybe it's time that he actually hit on her, because he's catching feelings and he didn't want anyone else to steal his chance while Mia's single. He wanted to have all the rights to teach her what's wrong from right, and all the reasons to hangout more often with her.

He wanted to become someone more significant in Mia's life.