27. Mia's dream

Semester breaks had always been about working part time to save more money for the following semester - until Carter came along. Suddenly it was all about picnics, collecting and pressing flowers, bike rides, sunsets, and chilling by the pool while reading with hopes that a squirrel will come by to take free nuts they had left out in a bowl under the big tree behind his house. Spring was also full of tales of their failure to keep their hands to themselves.

Mia have not managed to secure a part time job, however, she was hired by a small jewelery company to manage their social media. Over the past couple of days, they'd spent more time brainstorming ideas for photoshoots and being the perfect boyfriend he already was, Carter was her personal photographer. He had a newfound talent in photography and Mia was convinced that he couldn't be bad at anything unless he does it on purpose.

Mia was distracted by his toned abs glistening under the sun while they're reading outside the house, Carter squeezed her thigh gently then pointed at the big tree, "A squirrel."

"Aw," Mia stared at the squirrel as it gobbled up several nuts before leaving with swollen cheeks. "That should cross out one thing from my bucket list," she hummed as she looked at her phone when it rang. "Haze is calling," she told Carter, then answered the call, "Hey! I haven't heard from you in a long while."

"Yeah, I just got back in town. How are you?"

"I'm great, just hanging out," Mia looked at Carter, "With my boyfriend, of course. Not that I'm bragging or anything."

"Well, it's nice knowing you two get along so well, but I couldn't care less." Hazel scoffed. "So you're at his place now, or what? Are you free this Wednesday?"

"Yes, I'm at his place. What's up on Wednesday?"

"Girls' night, duh? I was thinking that maybe we should hangout. I really need someone to talk to."

"What happened?" Mia sat up straight and frowned, which perked Carter's attention.

"It's just a bunch of stressful things after another. I can't even-- I just need to destress," Hazel sighed, "But I'm currently at Miami's apartment, and I think it's near where Carter's house is. I'll pick you up Wednesday, if you want. Are you working?"

"I'm working remotely, so I think there shouldn't be any problem to go out," Mia shrugged, "Sure. I'll free up my Wednesday just for you."

Carter pointed at himself and mouthed, 'I'm going too', which Mia declined with a shake of her head.

"Cool," Hazel sighed, "Well, I guess I'll see you on Wednesday, 9pm."

"Come over when you're free, we can hangout."

"I would love to, but I'm tired from the flight and I think I'll just hibernate until I see you," Hazel told her.

"Okay, have a good rest and take care of yourself. I'll see you soon," Mia kissed her through the phone as Hazel did the same before ending the call. "Haze asked me out for a girls' night on Wednesday."

"Uh-huh, I'm coming with you," Carter said calmly, "I'll change my name to Cartier or something."

"Cartier?" Mia chuckled, "No, first of all that not a girl's name..."

Carter grabbed her hand and pulled her into his embrace, "Come on, I'll make a good plus one."

"... and I'm tired of you already," Mia added, looking at him dead in the eyes.

"Wow," Carter whispered, then kissed her temple, "That one hurts a little, but I don't really care."

"I was just kidding - in case you think I meant what I said," she clarified. "Anyway, Haze said she needed someone to talk to because things are not doing well for her."