15. Time for Herself

Mia barely had recollection of what went down on the next day. She was down with fever and Grace took care of her all day long. Every now and then, she woke up to Grace asking her to eat her food and medicine, and then she would be asleep again. By the time Mia felt better, it was evening and Grace told her to stay the night although Mia insisted she could take a bus back to the city.

The next morning, Mia woke up before Grace did and had shamelessly looked for food in the kitchen. She made cereals for breakfast and decided to call Carter, knowing he would be getting ready for classes at that time. She felt the need to bother him as if it had become her routine since they started hanging out.

"Boyfriend?" Grace greeted and Mia was startled because she didn't notice the woman coming downstairs.

"Boyfriend?" Carter repeated after her.

Mia rolled her eyes as she introduced them to each other, "He's my friend, Carter Wilde. Carter, this is Grace.

Carter gasped, "Oh, nice to meet you. Thanks for taking care of Mia."

"No problem," Grace chuckled, "Are you going to be her boyfriend?"

"He's just a friend," Mia quickly dodged the question, "Grace, don't embarrass me like a mother."

"I am gonna be a mother, Mia." Grace pointed out. She waved her hand to say goodbye to Carter, "I was just kidding. How about brunch, Carter? I'll pick you up."

"What?" Mia gasped in shock, "No, we're not going to brunch together. I'm just gonna go back to my dorm."

"Sure, I'm free today." Carter replied, completely ignoring Mia since he's been offered a free meal.

"I'll text you," Mia said to him before abruptly ending the call. She got off the couch and went after Grace, "I'm not going to have brunch with you two."

"What do you mean? He's your friend. I'm only trying to be kind to him for looking after you."

"I'm not going," Mia repeated herself, "I don't want to see him for the time being"

"Honey, you just saw him." Grace frowned, reminding Mia that she was just on a video call with Carter. "Why, is he bothering you? You need help or something?"

"I just don't want to see him at the moment, Grace. Don't do this to me," Mia was so close to crying as she made her plea.

Grace stared at her before sighing, "Well, just tell him I forgot about my doctor's appointment and cancel the whole thing."

"Thank you," Mia sniffled, "I'm sorry, Grace. You were so excited and I ruined it. Maybe next time when everything is better...?"

"No, I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry, of course you need more time for yourself," Grace smiled softly. She gave Mia a hug and whispered affirmations just to reassure Mia that everything will be okay.

On their way back to college, Mia texted Carter to let him know that they're not going to have brunch together. Thankfully, he was okay with it and only reminded her to let him know once she got back to the dorm. She felt beyond awful for lying to him but she really wanted to be alone for the time being. No Carter, no Aiden or Hazel, and definitely not her brother Dan. She just needed some time to be alone and process her own feelings.

On second thought, she might be needing some booze. Mia let out a greater sigh as she stare at the party invitation she just received from Hazel and her friends, a party meant for a girls' night. It should be fine. Plus, there won't be guys around, what can possibly happen?

"Is he fine with it?" Grace asked, assuming that Mia's sigh was a reaction to Carter's reply.

"He's okay," Mia nodded, then she shook her head, "I'm not."

"Just know that I'll be one call away, and my doors are open for you, all the time. You can visit anytime you want. I'll let you know if I'm not home."

"Thanks," Mia smiled, "That made me feel better. I'll call you if I ever need anything."

"Anytime, sweetheart."

As soon as she bid goodbye to Grace and watched her leave, Mia walked back to her dorm hoping that no one was around. She had texted Hazel earlier and she should be on a date with Aiden at the time.

But as soon as Mia entered the room, she froze in place when she saw Carter standing inside, holding the book she's currently reading. Seeing him was enough to make her knees turn jelly. She desperately needed a hug from him but she didn't want to cry. She really didn't want to cry in front of Carter, of all people, and become that miserable, pathetic person. She was just becoming a better person a few days ago, and she wanted to prove to him that she could change. But now she's back to being the old Mia who needed help.

"You look tired," Carter pointed out the obvious as he approached Mia. He was about to touch her cheeks when she quickly caught his hands and cracked a nervous laughter. "What's wrong?" He asked, frowning at her.

"I just... I'm exhausted. I need some rest," Mia shook her head as she lowered his hand. Carter seems to understand her as he nodded quietly and stepped to the door instead.

"Call me if you need anything," he smiled and she just nodded, seeing him off to the door.

Carter felt like he was missing something that day as Mia shut the door before he even walked away. He pondered as he walked out of the building and back to his dorm. Did he hurt her feelings? Why does it feel like he did something wrong that Mia chased him out?

He eventually figured that he was accustomed to being able to hangout with her all the time that Mia's refusal hurt a little. It wasn't even afternoon, and she's exhausted. He also figured that Mia needed time for herself. In one way or another, the conclusion was that he's clingy.

Carter scoffed in disbelief, "Not you getting clingy, Carter. Snap out of it."

He took out his phone from his pocket as it rang, and Catherine's name was on the screen. He answered the call with a small smile as he took a seat on the bench at the park. "Hey, mom."

"Hi, how did it go? Is she home?"

"Yes, she's in her room already. She said she's exhausted, so I didn't get to ask anything," Carter hummed.

"That poor girl," Catherine sighed.

"I was going to ask her out for lunch, but I think she wants to be alone at the moment. Maybe I'll talk to her tomorrow."

"She must have been in shock. I was shocked, let alone herself." Catherine paused for a while as if she was thinking about something. "Do you know any of her comfort or favorite food? Are you free today?"

"Yeah," Carter nodded. "Don't worry. I'll make sure to drop off some food for her."

"Thank you, honey. And make sure she's safe and sound, okay?"

"Sure," he hummed.

"I'm so sorry for asking for so many things, Carter, but I'm worried that she would do something stupid. I hope you don't mind. I'll find time to visit and talk to her myself."

"No, don't be sorry. She's..." He shrugged, "She's my friend now. It's almost my duty to keep her in check. Don't you worry about a thing and just focus on work for now, okay? I'll update you about her every now and then."

"You're such a blessing, Carter." Catherine said softly. "I have to go now. I love you, honey."

"I love you more, take care."