Chapter 13: Skip Beat

I woke up early, very early. The sun hasn’t risen yet and clock informed me that it was still 4 in the morning. I can’t go back to my sleep again so I just went to the library.

Later, my language teaching job will start. I wonder what kind of student Lay is. I was nervous so I grabbed a book and then read ‘til the sun rose. Books, they calm me. That’s why having this kind of library is a good thing for me.

6 in the morning, I prepared everything Lay and I will need for the tutoring session. As far as I can observe, I think it wouldn’t be hard to teach him. He seems to be the nicest guy of the group so I think I won’t get into any trouble.

We’ll have our tutoring sessions on our library; we’ll have it on the second-storey of the library for no one would notice. It’s for his safety and also, no one could distract the session.

I was still feeling nervous and books can’t calm me no more so I went down to have a cup of coffee. I saw auntie on the desk so I greeted her.

“Oh, good morning, Summer. Good luck later!” She cheered me.

“Oh? So today’s the day?” Uncle asked. “Summer! Fighting!”

A smile was drawn onto my face as I heard them cheer for me. I just remembered my parent I left in the Philippines. I wonder what they are doing right now.

I can’t help it. I gave mom a call.

“Hello? Summer!” –Mom

“Mom! Good morning! I got the job already! And guess what? I’ll be starting later!”

“Oh! That’s great, Summer!” She paused for a while. “So who’s the lucky student of yours? Do you have an idea already?” –Mom.

“Oh yes, mom! He’s from a famous boy group called EXO!”

“XO? What?” –Mom

“Nope, mom. It’s EXO. E-X-O. A group that is compose of 12 boys namely: Lay, which happens to be my student, Sehun, Kai and Tao, the youngest members, Kyungsoo, Chen and Baekh—“ The signal got slightly interrupted.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you, Summer. “

“Oh yeah, the signal got interrupted, mom. Where am I?” I paused for a while, thinking about the last name I’ve recited. “Oh yeah! Plus Baekhyun! They are the vocals of the group. We also have Suho and Kris, the leaders of EXO-K and EXO-M respectively.”

“Oh they are so many!” –Mom

“Oh yes, mom! And I’m not yet done, too. We still have Xiumin oppa, who happens to be the oldest but has a face of a 5-year-old kid. Also, Luhan the prettiest member yet the Manliest, too! And lastly, Chanyeol, if you’ll just hear him rap, mom, you’ll be amazed! He even stand tall, mom! They’re all great, mom!”

My mom sighed. “Looks like you’re enjoying yourself there, Summer. I hope to see you soon. I miss you so much. Be a good girl there, okay?” –Mom

I heard her tears but I hold mine. I breathed heavily and said, “I miss you too, mom. I miss dad, too. Yes, I’ll be a good girl and you’ll be proud of me.” I smiled.

The call ended after having some simple conversations.

I noticed a black car parked from a distance. Is that him? I went outside to check if it was really him. I walked closer to the car and no one gets outside yet. So I waited and then out of the blue, the window at the back opened.

I saw Lay.

“Hi, teacher!” He greeted.

I was so stunned to see him. So I just waved my hand and flashed him a smile.