Chapter 2: Off to South Korea

“So, when are we—I mean, when is my flight to South Korea?” I asked mom. 

“Your flight will be on Monday. You only have two days to pack, honey.” Mom replied.

Wow, this is the best Friday of my life. I never thought of this things would happen. But there are some things that bother me still. Like, why would mom and dad let me go to South Korea alone? I mean, we could go there and start a new life maybe?

“W-Wait. Mom, are you hiding something from me? Please, tell me now.” Dad and mom shared eye contacts as if there’s really something going on. “Dad!” I yelled.

“Hey honey, your tone.” Dad said. “S-Summer, your Auntie has this tutor center at Korea. She needs new teachers and your mom and I referred you—“

“You decided things without my permission?” I burst out in tears and ran into my room as fast as I can. Because I don’t want them to see me crying; crying isn’t my style.

I was lying in my bed, thinking about the things that happened earlier. “Is this for real? In the next two days I will be heading to South Korea? I’m finally heading to the place that I have been always dreaming of?” I changed my position to face my beautiful wall, a wall that has a lot of k-posters of my favorite groups and etc.

"Aiissh! Ya! Stop staring at me like that." I demanded.

Well... talking to your k-posters isn’t against the law. And so here I am, talking to my Kim Jong In. “Jagiya! In the next few days, I’ll be in South Korea finally. I’ll come there not to see you but to work for my family.” I sighed. 

"B-but, YAH! Please stop staring at me like that. It's making me go crazy." I never stopped being crazy. LMAO.

After several hours, I realized something. Heading to South Korea for a work and not for a nice vacation isn’t that bad. I can wander around Seoul during my free time. So, Summer, just see this Korea-thingy as a blessing.

I went downstairs to see mom and dad. I just want to tell them that everything is okay to me now.

“Mo—“ but before I finish my sentence, I caught them talking.

“But what if Summer finds out?” Mom uttered.

“What is it, Mom?” They both gave me a confused look. Is there something going on again? 

Unexpectedly, the lights went off. 

“Oh dear! Why can’t I see anything? Oh too dark." Mom said while she’s trying to find a flash light in the dark. “Of course mom, you won’t see anything because it’s dark. It’s just a normal thing but unable to hear anything because of darkness isn’t normal.” I said.

Soon after I brought sarcasm in our conversation, dad finally found the flashlight. “The lights are back, ladies.” Mom and I just stared at dad. “Let’s just pretend that after I turned on this flashlight, everything is working now fine, okay?” Dad tried to show us an innocent smile.

“So, this is what you guys are hiding from me?” I asked them. “I now understand everything, mom and dad. Working in Korea is fine. As long as I am making myself useful into this household, it’s fine.”

Mom and dad sighed in relief. They both hugged me and dad said, “I am so proud that our Little Summer is already a grown up one.” “Our beautiful Summer, we love you so much.” Mom said.

Sunday evening...

Good thing the lights were already okay. Dad paid the electric bills with his money this morning.

“Are you ready, Summer? Tomorrow’s your flight, right?” Mom asked. 

Time flew so fast. I haven’t realized that in the next hours I will be heading to South Korea. “Yep, mom. I’m ready.” I replied. “So, mom, you haven’t told me yet where would I stay there? Where does Auntie lives?” I added.

Mom brought out a piece of paper; a paper where my Auntie’s address in Korea was written. Mom also handed me a bag where everything I need/will be needing was present; passports, cash, chargers and etc. Thank God he gave me an awesome mother. “Thank you so much, mom!”

Someone came in, “Oh hi father!” I greeted dad.

“Tomorrow... Me and your mom will be moving in to Baguio.” Dad announced his shocking news that made me confused again. “What?! Y-You’re mov—“ Dad interrupted me with a ‘YES’.

Mom hugged me and said, “Summer, your dad and I to move in Baguio for we can no longer afford the cost of living here in Manila.” Tears were slowly streaming down my face. “Don’t you worry, Summer. We’ll take good care of ourselves there and so as you, okay?” I hugged mom tighter and said no words.

Later in that evening too...

I haven’t thought of this, that our family would suffer like this. Not really suffering but experiencing instead. “Going to Korea for a work is just a little sacrifice, Summer. We’ll get through this.” I told myself.

Yes. I swear, we’ll get through this someday.

Monday, 3:30 AM...

Today is the day! In a few moments, I will be in Korea finally! Wait for me Kai! Just kidding.

“We will miss you, Summer. Please take good care of yourself there. And please, don’t forget to call us once you’re in Korea already, okay?” Mom said. 

“I am very sorry that we need to get into this point, Summer.” Father said. “I am very sorry. I hope you will do good there. And don’t you hesitate to call if something happens, ok? I won’t think twice going to Korea just to save you. Dad loves you so much!” Dad said while trying to hold his tears. 

I really can’t help but to cry. Of course, I was excited to go to Korea but the other half of me was very sad, for my parents wouldn’t be with me. I will miss them so much. Also, I am very nervous too. It will be my first time in a foreign country and I am going alone. Wish me good luck, guys.

On the plane...

It was really nice to ride on a plane. That such feeling of excitement and nervousness, I felt that during the ride. I was seated right beside a Chinese lady, a beautiful Chinese lady in her 40s I think. She was my plane buddy. We’ve shared different stories. And yes, it was very fun to interact with her. I hope to see her again.

“We’re already in South Korea...” One of the stewardesses announced.

I was so excited that I almost drop my heart. I immediately looked at my window and yes, “I’m already here! Omo!” 

At Incheon Airport...

“I hope to see you again, Ma’am.” I bowed 90 degrees. “Farewell to you, Summer. I hope to see you again.” The Chinese lady flashed me a beautiful smile.

So... I AM ALREADY HERE IN SOUTH KOREA! KOREA, THE PLACE WHERE I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN DREAMING OF.  I could sense great things coming. Can’t wait to wander around South Korea and see my auntie! 

As soon as I got my bags, I reached for my backpack, trying to get the small bag which my mom gave me last Sunday.

“W-where is that bag could be? I know... I put it here. W-Whe—“ 

*bumps into a guy*

“Mianhe. Jeongmal mianhe.” I bowed two times. “It’s okay. It’s okay.” The guy replied.

Some of my stuff scattered along the floor. I was trying to pick them all up as fast as I can. The guy helped me to fix my stuff again but I refused. “Thanks. But I can hand—“ I paused for a while, examining the face of the guy. “W-Wait... You look like someone I know—Omo!” The guy’s blank expression was starting to change into a worried expression. “KIM JONG IN OPPA!” I shouted.

A/N: I am sorry for writing such boring chapters, but I promise you that the upcoming chapters will be fun. Thank you! :D