Chapter 18 -- Coup de pied

Start from the beginning

"He might as well know you're allergic to peanut." His lips twisted into a smirk and he met my eyes, noticing the twinkle of amusement beginning to show. "Naturingan pang nanliligaw, hindi alam"

"Kaya nga nanliligaw so we get the chance to get to know each other more" Darren protested, my cheeks flaring hot as my friends glanced our way. Nakakahiya. I gave Tippy a remorse look but she just smiled at me.

"Pwede ba bro?" Darren said briskly putting his arm on my chair as if marking his territory. Darren was so good at pulling off this stunt; he deserved an Oscar more than anyone else. It was hard to breathe. My pounding heart battled my lungs for freedom to expand.

"Woah woah, Boys.. Chill tayo. Para kayong mga bata" Elaine said breaking off the tension. "I know the heat must've gotten inside your head. Why don't we channel it to a volleyball match instead?"

Ted tapped the table with excitement. "Deal"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darren grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him. He had the biggest hands. Mine were lost in his grip. I liked it when he held my hand like this. I could always smell his cologne on my hand later, after he let go.

Darren is not difficult to like, what's not to love about him anyway? But somehow, every time I held his hands.. a part of me would still protest

I squinted at the bright sun when we went out under the sun. Everyone was surrounded by clouds of smoke from the open barbecue pit prepared by Elaine. All the other women were preparing the tables and ooh-ing and ahh-ing over favorite recipes.

"Let's sit under that tree while we wait, Ate." Wrapped in her own sarong and humongous hat and sunnies, She said and tapped the longue chair beside her "You know they'll make us be the last ones to eat. They always do."

"Shh, someone will hear you, and they won't let us eat at all."

We both laughed. Tippy grabbed her iPhone 5S and then plopped down under the huge oak that provided the only shade. I eased myself down along side her. Our shoulders touched, and she leaned over close for us to have a Selfie she wanted so she could upload it on her Instagram

The wind was going from South to North which would have created a good side bad side situation if they were playing a game. This made tossing the ball pretty damn difficult when the wind is blowing in their face. The sun slowly warming the air as it creeps above the horizon. The tide is out. There is wide stretch of wet sand dotted with a few shells.

After about 15 minutes, a flurry of excitement started heading in the same direction. They started the volleyball match without Dennis. Every time Travis would score, my heart would secretly leap and rejoice. I don't know who to root for between Darren and Adrian versus Ted and Travis.

I felt as if every eye was on me, watching me. I knew it was a little neurotic, but I felt as though I would be caught staring at him and then, well then, everyone would know.

I watched as bead of sweat dripped slowly down Travis' forehead, down his cheek, his chin, to the ground, glistening all the way. His shirt was essentially doused. God, look at those quads; look at that lovely, tanned physique. My mouth watered a little.

Ted served at Darren and Adrian- this means that he had double the amount of information being fired at either of the two. Their main focus was siding out from an easy serve- so basically good pass, good set and then put the ball away.