chapter one

I rounded the corner of the school hallway, my shoes scuffing the faded purple and black tiles. It was the first day back from spring break and the thing I wanted to do the least was be here in a crowd of people I've known since the 6th grade. I pushed my way out of the group, walking by myself to my second period.

It was my junior year and luckily for me, it was over in a month. After transferring to a private school my freshman year, being home schooled sophomore year, and now back at my original school that I was supposed to be at all along, all I wanted was for it to actually be all over with. I was 17 and ready to get my life going.

I approached the door to my AP chemistry class, groaning as a group of underclassmen girls who I had a rough back story with came giggling out of the classroom. Their three blonde heads came closer to each other, whispering as they passed me by, then the second my back was turned to them they started throwing insults towards me. I stopped in my tracks, curling my hands into fists and whipped around to face them. Or more of their backs.

"Hey!" I shouted, catching other people's attention in the hallway. The middle girl, Kara, who used to be my best friend throughout middle school and freshman year turned around, the others following her action. Her eyes widened as I walked towards her, anger evident in my face. Just as I started to open my mouth, I spotted a familiar mop of wavy brown hair turning the corner to join my class.

"I don't know what is up your ass." I growled, taking my attention away from my friend as he noticed the scene that I was making. "But middle school was three years ago." I added staring her down as her friends looked between each other, unknowing of what to do. Kara stepped closer to me a plastic smile spreading across her face.

"And are you going to do anything about me?" She cocked her head to the side, looking me up and down. I instantly shoved her shoulders back with more force than I intended, nearly knocking her down to the ground. I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist, tugging me back from the scene.

"Get off me, Ashton." I spat, elbowing him in the stomach to pry him off of me. I went back to Kara and left Ashton yelling at me about getting in trouble and how she wasn't worth it. I stood right in front of her, staring right into her darkened blue eyes.

"Get a grip, you dumb bitch." I raised my voice, by this time a crowd had formed at the other end of the hall, watching our every move. "You and your minions are washed up pieces of trash." I narrowed my eyes at her, then back at her friends who were pulling her back and were soon running off in the fear of getting in trouble.

I watched as the hurried back around the corner, the group of people continuing on to get to their classes. I smirked to myself as I felt accomplished for actually being able to tell her what I've been wanting to for the past few years. I spun around on my heels, instantly running into a chest.

"Ashton, watch where-Oh." I expected to be standing in front of my best friend, but it seems that I ran right into my chemistry teacher. I glanced over his shoulder, seeing Ashton shaking his head at me as he watched the whole thing. I switched back to my teacher's displeased face that was covered by mostly his beard and a pair of 1980s glasses.

"'Oh' is right. You can take yourself down to ISS." He waved me off as he had for every other time I've been sent to in-school-suspension. He turned his back to me, leaving me with my mouth halfway open. I shut it quickly as Ashton walked over to me, gripping my backpack that was weighing down my shoulders.

"Smart move, Andy." I rolled my eyes at his protective state. "What's this, the sixth time this year?" He stared down at me, shaking his head again at me. "You might want to get going before you get in anymore trouble, I'll be outside the ISS room after school." He sighed, turning his back to me just as the bell rang, signalling that class had started.