Chapter 51

"It's a good thing I am technically dead because if I were mortal, I wouldn't be able to breathe," Morgan muttered as the young woman behind her tightened the last of the dress straps.

"Ignore her, she's always out of sorts when she wearing anything other than armour," Serana said with an amused chuckle. She was sitting on the reclining sofa, her long red dress draped over her legs and a goblet of wine held in one hand.

"Am not."

Serana chuckled again as she sipped her wine. She didn't bother to reply and was content to sit there and admire the way the black dress clung to her love's curves. She smoothed her own dress down and smiled as the serving girl bowed to the two of them before hurrying out of the room.

"I think you intimidate her," Serana quipped.

"What gave you that idea?" Morgan retorted with fake innocence as she walked over and sat on Serana's lap, the ancient vampire wrapping an arm around her waist.

"Oh nothing. Just her heartbeat sounding like the entire Bards College rehearsing a drum session all at once. Or the sweating. The stammer in her voice..."

Morgan rolled her eyes.

"Not my fault. What did she think was going to happen? I would bite her? Pfft."

Serana laughed as she placed the now empty goblet on the dresser table and smiled.

"Of course not, you are the Heroine of Skyrim. Dragonborn. And various other titles that everyone knows you as."

Morgan sighed as Serana's arms coiled around her, the vampires lips tickling her throat.

"Look on the bright side of things my love," Serana continued. "Alduin is banished, my father and his madness is no more and you finally ended the war that made no sense. For once in your life, you can plan ahead. Travel the world, watch our children grow up..."

Our children.

Morgan smiled as she turned around and planted a kiss on Serana's forehead.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

Morgan smiled.

"Everything."

Serana grinned.

"Even letting you go first when choosing our dresses?"

"Apart from that. Evil woman."

Serana smiled wickedly.

"Come on, time or the coronation. I expect Elisif will want a speech from you."

"Shit."

Serana giggled.

Elisif smiled as she walked through the Blue Palace, her long white and silver dress trailing quietly behind her. She made certain that she nodded to every guard she passed, appreciating the measures that Rikke had taken to ensure her safety. Walking slightly behind her was the quiet vampire advisor, Sybille Stentor.

She had said little since the preparations although she had mentioned that the guards had reported one or two disturbances, all of them involving the result of the civil war.

Elisif fought the urge to sigh and continued to walk, heading to the balcony that would lead outside. She stopped at the double doors and took a moment to compose herself. After several years of having to grieve at the murder of her beloved husband, she finally felt as though everything would work out in the end. She could hear the crowd outside cheering, and she glanced at Sybille, who raised her eyebrow.