Chapter 50

Sixteen years ago, Bruma, Cyrodiil.

Well, well. What do we have here?" Sulandril chuckled as she entered the main hall of the castle. She smirked when she noted the Countess was nowhere to be seen, as were most of her guards. Six of her elite guards remained, all of them guarding the three entrances leading into the main hall. She smiled wider at their polished steel plate and blades.

Clunky, slow weaponry. No wonder the Great War ended so quickly, pathetic puppet Emperor or no.

She idly stroked the hilt of her glass dagger before striding into the room, nodding to the ten members of the Aldmeri Dominion guards, who stood to full attention the moment she came into view. Sulandril schooled her face into a neutral expression as she let her gaze fall on the sight of the sixteen children before her.

Ragged clothing, dirty, idle expressions. I have my work cut out for me.

The leader of the Thalmor herself had tasked her in this miserable and cold hovel for an important mission. Her orders were to facilitate the will of the superior race onto these barbarians at a young age, preventing further strife. The last generation had been a success with only a handful failing their reconditioning. And the earlier the conditioning started, the better.

She allowed herself a few more moments of silence as the children started to fidget.

"Silence!"

The quiet that followed was appreciated, and she smiled now as she let her eyes wander on these plain faces. And then stopped when her gaze was met with a pair of steely blue orbs. She chuckled and walked forwards, all but this one child backing away from her. Sulandril knelt down to eye level and moved a strand of black hair from the urchins face.

"Why scowl so much, little one? We are your salvation, the ones who will uplift your townsfolk to something greater."

Like a footrest.

The child simply glared at her.

Sulandril smiled wider.

"Oh, I see. A member of your family was killed in the glorious war. A war in which we won."

Still silence.

A challenge. Interesting.

She stood up and walked away, allowing a fireball to form into her right hand. Spinning around, she chuckled harshly.

"Your first lesson is magic. I expect all of you to fail but with my guidance and teachings, you will become something greater."

Ten minutes later, she was having difficulty in trying not to laugh. Watching these inferior beings trying to form even a wisp of smoke was amusing. She had learned the arts of Destruction by the age of forty. At forty years old in these mortals, they would be ready for early retirement.

She then noted that silent girl again, who was staring at her again.

Walking over, she made to admonish her.

And then stopped as the girl ignited twin balls of flames in her tiny fingers, the fire flickering as she maintained her mana levels. Ignoring the gasps of the other children, she walked over and smiled.

"Forming the fire is one thing. Throw it, girl. Ascendris, a shield spell."

She nodded as her chief lieutenant formed a shimmering blue barrier.

"I said, throw it!"

The explosion threw her and every over person within sixty feet to the floor as the frail girl launched the balls of fire at the shield. Casting a quick Ironflesh spell, Sulandril stood up and laughed as the surprised lieutenant scrambled to his feet, his once pristine armour smoking slightly.