Chapter 45

Morgan glanced around at the thieves that were all around them. She recognised most of them. Vex was there, her eyes narrowing when Morgan didn't bother to look away from her piercing gaze. Tonila was there as well, giving Morgan a firm nod when they met eye contact.

And of course, there was Delvin Mallory. He grinned at her and Morgan smirked back at him.

He knows who I truly am.

Morgan was relieved when the burly figure of Brynjolf arrived. He smiled as he walked over and gave her a gentle embrace.

"Good to see you again, lass," he said, shaking Serana's hand and giving Brelyna his most charming smile. "And who is this delightful creature?"

"Careful," Morgan warned. "She bites."

Brelyna giggled.

"She's not the only one. Thanks for coming by on short notice."

Morgan nodded.

"No problem. So what did you want to show me?"

That was when detected a slight movement to her right. As fast as a striking serpent, her blade was out and was pointing directly at the shimmering figure. She ignored the yells of the Thieves Guild members and allowed her thu'um to grow, a soft blue gaze appearing within her mouth.

"At ease," came a smooth voice from the hidden figure.

The thieves sheathed their blades but Morgan kept hers pointed at this person, her instincts were telling her to not drop her guard.

"Smart. I mean you no harm."

"Then show yourself and we can talk," Morgan replied.

The shimmering enchantment ceased and Morgan could see that the person was a dunmer female, who wore a small smile on her face. Morgan only lowered her blade when Serana placed her hand on her wrist.

"A nightingale," Serana remarked. "It's been some time since I last saw one."

"We could say the same about having an ancient vampire in our midst," the woman said smoothly.

Serana smiled, keeping her hand on Morgan's wrist.

"You can let go of her now," Vex piped up with a chuckle.

"It's for your safety," Serana smirked.

"It's okay lass, we aren't enemies," Brynjolf said.

Morgan frowned and sheathed her blade, ignoring the collective sighs of relief that echoed around her.

"Who are you?"

"Karliah. And I know who you are. I would wager all of Skyrim knows about you. The Dragonborn. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Morgan nodded but she could sense that this woman was hiding something.

"Where's that bastard Mercer? I hope he doesn't know I am here," Morgan said, glancing at the entrance where she knew the main centre of the Guild was situated.

"He's dead," Karliah all but snarled.

Morgan shrugged.

"Fair enough."

"You are a cocky assassin," Karliah said, tilting her head thoughtfully at Morgan and Serana before meeting Brelynas gaze. "And I don't know who you are..."

"Just another cocky assassin," Brelyna said, earning identical grins from Serana and Morgan.

Karliah nodded and suddenly drew a dagger from her belt.