Chapter 10

"I hate this place."

Serana grinned at Babette's statement and she had to agree with her when she gave Winterhold another quick sweep with her eyes.

Half the buildings were still missing since the Great Collapse, and even though the town must have received some form of income, there hadn't been a single new building placed, nor a single fence that used to be between the buildings themselves.

"Sorry, I REALLY hate this place. Can we get this over with?"

"Sometimes I forget that you are a three hundred year old vampire," Serana remarked.

"Fuck you," Babette said sweetly.

Both vampires chuckled as they adjusted the hoods over their eyes and began to walk down the path into the small village itself. They were thankful that the snow and wind were hiding their eyes from direct sight, due to the presence of Stormcloak soldiers milling around outside the tavern and the Jarl's residence.

Serana kept her hand lightly rested on the dagger strapped to her thigh as she walked, constantly looking left and right in case one of the soldiers suddenly spotted them for not being entirely alive. Serana knew this was unlikely at best, she knew that most of these soldiers were drunk or stupid enough to allow two vampires in their midst and not say anything.

"Pigs. Look at them. There is one pissing on the side of the tavern for Sithis' sake. I hope it freezes off." Serana snickered as she nodded in agreement, putting an arm round Babette's shoulders like a mother would do. The illusion would fool any onlookers into thinking it was a mother escorting her daughter through the weather.

"Yes, but it could have been worse."

"How so?" Babette asked curiously.

"He could have been taking a sh..."

"Are you alright missy?"

"Oh fuck," Serana sighed as she gave a bright smile and looked at the drunk Stormcloak that was leaning against the stone pillars that marked the path to the College of Winterhold.

"Fine, thank you. I am just taking my daughter to the College."

"Hmph....magic at a young age eh? Feel sorry for ya' miss, magic doesn't do any good. I mean, look at what happened to this place."

Babette managed to hide her snort as she managed a small smile.

"Magic is only bad if someone uses it wrong. I need better control of my magic otherwise my mother might get into trouble....is that wrong?"

Serana smiled a little wider as she noted the guard's addled mind trying to work it's way through Babette's words. She smirked even more when the guard belched and waved them off before slumping onto the ground and began to doze within seconds.

"Hope he freezes there all night."

Serana agreed silently as they passed the guard and began walking along the cracked bridge that led to the College.

"Ah, it is good to see you again. J'Zargo has wondered what you have been up to."

"The usual," Serana said with a wink as she removed her hood and looked at the Khajiit in the eye. "Drinking people dry, hacking apart draugr and of course using Stormcloaks as a way to improve my destruction spells."

Babette giggled when J'Zargo went a paler shade of white that was visible even through his fur, and chuckled profusely when he noticed her fangs peeking out under her lips.

"J'Zargo will get the Arch Mage for you...yes..."

"Thank you!" Serana called after the rapidly fleeing student before nudging Babette on the shoulder. "You are a little terror, you know that?"