Chapter 23 ♕ The City of Loquin (pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

"You're welcome."

"So this validates your encounter with the undines. They were the ones who saved your life. They were also responsible for healing all your wounds." Charles was silent for a few moments, his mind obviously running with different possibilities. "Still, to think that they would grant you the Blessing of the Sea is truly astounding. They must've taken a liking to you."

"What is the Blessing of the Sea stuff? What does it do?"

"That'll be hard to explain." Rowe stated. "The Blessing of the Sea . . . is very unpredictable."

"There must be an explanation." Corvan insisted. "This has something to do with her soul, right?"

"Hmm . . ." The sound of Rowe thinking to himself reached their ears. "The headache that couldn't be healed . . . it must have something to do with all of this." He paused. "Now that I remember, you were saying things to yourself. What was happening during that time?"

Valeriana scratched her head as she tried to recall what happened exactly back then. "All I remember was that everything around me went dark and I couldn't hear properly. Then that stuff . . ."

"What happened after?"

"I don't really remember what it exactly said. Just bits of it."

"You have to remember." Charles told her.

"Er . . ." She racked her mind for the right words. "To open your eyes. To open your . . . ears. That will be the final Blessing of the Sea." She said. "Or something like that."

They all exchanged glances.

"Eyes and ears probably refers to those of the soul." Rowe muttered. "Perhaps . . . it didn't come all at once." He nodded to himself, his brows creased. "The soul is a very fragile thing indeed. You see . . . how do I explain this? Exposing it to something it's not used to all at once will ultimately cause its destruction. You might've died."

Valeriana paled at his words. "Die, you say?"

"Or it would've done a considerable damage. It's very hard to put into words. But I think you know what I mean."

"Can you explain a little bit more?" She shook her head. Her azure blue eyes were full of wonder and disbelief. It wasn't easy being in her situation.

"Let's put it this way." He said. "Let us say you have abilities that you haven't used for a very long time. Compare it to the muscles in the body. Your soul cannot handle the strain of using the power you have so suddenly. It needs to slowly adapt itself. Like how much your body handles exercises. You first need to warm up."

"I think I somehow get it." She answered. "So you're saying hearing animals talk was the warm up?

"Perhaps so."

"That explains a lot, then." Charles said. "That solves a bit of the mystery. The blessing is said to differ with each individual it's been granted to. I do wonder if there is more. Is there still something you aren't telling us, Valeriana?"

While Charles attempted to discuss the matter, Valeriana happened to think of something. It felt strange for the others to be concerned about the things happening to her to this extent. Why did they even bother to discuss this with her when it had nothing to do with them? Must they actually question her for the strangeness of it all? It felt as though they were going through every little bit of information that it gave her no room for privacy.

"You know . . . I really appreciate you guys being concerned and all. What I want to know is why?"

Charles raised a brow. "Do you not want help in finding answers to this questions?"