Chapter 9 - True Saiyan Grit

That meeting in the tavern hall provided Bardock that angry burst of energy he needed to race up the stairs. He exited the building and kept on running toward the open space. He needed a better vantage point of Freiza's ship when the time came. When he felt that he ran out far enough, he hunched over and rested his palms on his knees as he caught his breath. He needed a new plan and quickly, because he didn't have the support of his fellow saiyans. Unfortunately, no one had believed him and now he would have to shoulder the entire burden of stopping Freiza. Things were not looking good for him right now and he was seriously considering breaking his vow of vengeance. If saiyan population didn't care, why should he risk his life for them? Maybe he should be spending his energy on stealing a space pod and escaping before Freiza arrived.

"Bardock! Bardock, can you hear my voice?" An unfamiliar voice called out.

"Who is that calling my name?" Bardock asked aloud as he spun around. "Show yourself!"

"Bardock…Don't you recognize me?" The voice inquired.

Bardock looked beyond the field and saw a strange yet familiar figure garbed in orange clothing. The strange individual's back was turned towards him, so Bardock could not see his face but the silhouette was unmistakeable.

"Yes, I do recognize you," Bardock admitted as he reached out to the figure. "You are my son…"

The person turned around and gazed upon him with concern in his eyes.

"Father, it's not too late for you…" Kakkarot told him. "You still have a chance to be different…To be different from him…"

Kakkarot's figure then disappeared and Freiza stood in his place instead. Freiza smirked at him and began to snicker wickedly.

"Kakkarot!" Bardock yelled out as the earth beneath him began to quiver. Freiza's laughter became more prominent as the tremors increased and the ground underneath him began to swallow Bardock whole.

"Noooo!" Bardock cried and then he opened his eyes. Sweat poured from his forehead and surprisingly, he was still on the staircase.

Another vision? But this one felt so real! No matter, I now know what I have to do…Thank you, Kakkarot.

Bardock reached the top of the tower and ran out to the observation deck. Looking up at clear sky, he could even see Freiza's ship coming near with his naked eye. It blazed like bright beacon in the sky. As the ship drew closer, Bardock was assaulted with more images of Vegetasei's destruction with Toloo's prophetic voice in the background.

"I have given this gift to you, so that you may see…" Toloo stated. "That you may see the destruction of your wretched people just like we had to!"

Toloo would not let Bardock forget that he was given this gift only to be tortured with the images of Vegetasei's demise. Toloo wanted Bardock to feel helpless in this time of strife. However, Bardock did not feel helpless at all. Not anymore. The time was here. He had nowhere to run. Although he still felt half-dead, he licked his dry lips in anticipation for the arduous battle ahead.

"I can't let that bastard get away with this underhanded plot of his! Toma, Fasha, Borgos, Shugesh and Kakkarot, I will defeat him for all you!" Bardock stated through gritted teeth as he powered up his ki. His excess energy glowed bright around him. Using the ledge of the observation deck as a launching pad, he shot off into the sky towards Freiza's looming spaceship.

As Bardock approached closer he noted that all the spaceship's hatch doors were open and Freiza's soldiers came pouring out.

Great! Freiza must have detected me! So, instead of facing me himself, he sent out his clowns? Ha, I knew he was bigger coward that I originally thought. No matter, I will get rid of them just like I will get rid of him!