Chapter 16

"Why can't you guys tell me?" His voice came out in a whisper. All the joy he had when he got back his memory (most of it) was all gone. "Why would you want to hide it?"

Abhimanyu looked at Nandini, who was looking down at her hands - knotting and unknotting them. Abhimanyu was very much aware why Nandini had been trying to hide it.  It was the day Nandini stopped living, the day she desperately want to forget, the day she wish had not happened - everyday. But they can't hide it anymore. Hiding it again means more danger.

"Nandini." Abhimanyu called her. She looked at him with teary eyes. "We have to." and Nandini nodded her, taking a deep breath.

Manik silently watched what was happening. He figured it was a very touchy subject for both Nandini and Abhi, specially Nandini. He held her hands and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"As you know, even though you were the future King of Vampires, you were just half-vampire." Manik nodded. He was listening carefully - still holding on to Nandini's hand. "And you remember everything till that attack on Nandini?" Abhi confirmed. When Manik responded positively, Abhi nodded and took a deep breathe. He was going to recall that terrible night. He took hold of both Manik and Nandini's hands. So they say there, in a circle, holding onto each other.

-------------------------------------------------------

"Abhi, do you have a plan?" Manik asked as he helped Nandini to pack necessary items.

"A full plan? No." He continued when he saw Manik trying to say something. "But I do know to where we can go right now."

Manik nodded and went back to packing. He made sure to keep Me eye on Nandini. She kept on saying she was fine but he was still doubtful.

"Manik, I'm fine." She repeated for the hundredth time.

"Am not so sure about it and I'll fuss about it till am satisfied." He retorted stubbornly.

"Oh God!" Abhi rubbed his forehead. "Guys! You guys can fight later. Right now we have to leave." His frustration was clear, and that shut Manik and Nandini real fast. Abhimanyu​ getting frustrated over their bicker is a bad sign.

"Bro, calm down. Everything will be fine." Manik took Abhi in a side hug, slinging his arm around Abhi's shoulder. Abhi took a deep breathe and looked at Manik and Nandini, the latter who was very much guilty. "Am sorry. I was..." He shook his head lightly.

"So all set?" Nandini asked, hoping to distract everyone.

"Oh God! I forgot." Manik ran from there in the blink of an eye, leaving Nandini and Abhimanyu to exchange confused glances.

"Done." Manik came back as fast as he left.

"And what was it that you forgot?" Nandini asked, arching her left eyebrow.

"Shit!" Manik cursed u see his breathe. "Wo... Nothing important, just some balms for emergencies," he covered up. Nandini was still confused but decided to let it go, there was much important things to be taken care of.

"Whatever, let's go." Nandini turned to take the bag. Manik looked at Abhi, who was already looking at Manik with 'how-dumb-can-you-be' look and Manik simply shrugged with a goofy grin.

------------------------------------------------------

Their story time was disturbed by the sound of something hitting the ground.

"What the..." Nandini was quick to her feet. "I'll just come." She left before either Abhimanyu or Manik could get in a word.

"This girl." Both the boys ran after her. As they reached the kitchen, from where the sound came from, they saw Nandini standing by the door without moving.

"What is it, Nandini?" Abhi asked as they moved closer to look inside.

"Nan..." Manik trailed of as he saw what made Nandini freeze on her place.

"Fuck!" Abhimanyu swore as he saw the gruesome sight.

The whole kitchen was covered in blood. Even though blood is their primary food, they were really good at controlling their thirst and urges. And this wasn't any blood, it was human blood. As the three stood there taking in the scene, Nandini silently pointed to the ceiling, which was stark white, where something was written in blood.

"You can run all you want, dear brother. But I'll find you. Everytime."

Nandini and Abhi looked at Manik when they heard a crunch, and saw Manik holding a piece of the door frame and silently shaking. Nandini kept a hand on his shoulder to turn him to face her and what she saw left her gaping. His eyes were sparkling red and puffs of steam coming off him.

Holding his gaze, She motioned Abhi to leave, and he did so silently - no questions asked.

"Manik" she called him calmly, but no response. She felt like he was looking right through her, as if she was invisible. "Manik" she called again, louder. He still didn't move, but the colour of his eyes were fading and he started to relax. He jerked a bit, like he was possessed before. His eye rolled back and he fell to the ground in a heap.

"MANIK" Nandini shouted, kneeling beside him.

Abhimanyu ran into the kitchen, hearing her screen. "Nandini," he called as he turned in to the kitchen.
"Manik" Abhi kneeled beside him and tapped on his cheeks. "What happened?"

"I d.. don't kn.. know. I was trying t.. to calm him and suddenly his eyes rolled back and he collapsed." Nandini explained between her sobs.

"Don't worry. He's alright."  Even though Abhi was trying to console Nandini, he knew he needed it too.

"Let's take him upstairs" Nandini got up and helped Abhi to carry him upstairs.

"Stay by him. I'll just call her and come." Nandini nodded in understanding and sat next to Manik, lacking her fingers through his.

"I hope she has an answer." Nandini murmured.

Abhi went out dialling a number.

"Hello, you remember." Said a chirpy female voice.

"Not now. I guess it has happened." Abhi said in a serious voice.

"What has?" The female voice contained doubt and realisation.

"Manik. His change is happening."

"I am coming."

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!!! Finally an update. Am so so so so so sorry for the late update. I have been neck deep in work and other issues that I couldn't focus on writing.  But a huge thank you for all my lovely readers for holding on to this story. You guys are the best.

Back to the update. A lot of secrets are out? And new ones cropped up? Who is this 'her'?  Who wrote the message? Manik's change? What's happening? Don't be confused. Let me know is your guesses and suggestions, I will be updating sooooooon. So look out for more adventures and complications.